VisualGDB broken after updating VS 2019 from version 16.9 to 16.10

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VisualGDB broken after updating VS 2019 from version 16.9 to 16.10

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    regus_pregus
    Participant

Just updated VS 2019 Community from version 16.9 to 16.10 using Visual Studio Installer. The update finished without any errors. However, after restarting VS, any activity with any project that uses VisualGDB 5.4R12 (build 3309) fails with the error message (see attached screenshot). The error message appears any time I try do do anything – be it building the project, loading the project or even just accessing VisualGDB About box. You can’t even exit the Visual Studio because the error message keeps appearing. The message DOES NOT appear in non-VisualGDB projects.

VisualGDB version 5.4R12 build 3309.

P.S. If you start VS without loading the preexisting project, you can create a new project without a fail, but then it still starts failing the moment you try to compile.

P.S. Everything was working fine under VS 16.9 literally 5 minutes before the VS update to version 16.10, so it must be something between VisualGDB and VS 16.10.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by regus_pregus.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This a known issue caused by a change in VS 16.10 that breaks backward compatibility. We have released hotfixes for the active VisualGDB versions (5.5 and 5.6) on the day it was reported.

Please see the following thread for details: https://sysprogs.com/w/forums/topic/unable-to-use-clang-intellisense-after-upgrading-vs/

regus_pregus
    Participant

Thank you for quick response. The hotfixes are for VisualGDB 5.5 and 5.6, but I have a license for 5.4, am I completely out of luck?

support
    Keymaster

VisualGDB 5.4 was released over 2 years ago and is no longer maintained. If you would like to take advantage of the latest features, updates and hotfixes, please consider renewing your license here: https://sysprogs.com/splm/mykey

regus_pregus
    Participant

I do not have a sudden purchase of a new version currently budgeted, especially when things break down all of a sudden in between two routine builds. With that in mind, I have the following options remaining:

1. Revert from VS 16.10.0 back to 16.9.6. But it is next to impossible to find a way to download installers for prior versions of VS Community Edition (only Professional and Enterprise), but that’s not Sysprogs fault, of course.
    2. Switch back to free tools that I was using before VisualGDB (Atmel Studio in my particular case)
    3. Disable offending component – Clang IntelliSense (don’t have much use for this feature anyway).

I went with the third option.

I wish the maintenance cycle for VisualGDB was a bit longer than 1 year, at least for bugfixes that the manufacturer already knows how to fix in later versions (I am trying to be fair and not asking for new features for free, just fixing broken product).

support
    Keymaster

No problem. You can always purchase multiple years of maintenance in advance if you believe you will need it for your project. Simply use the renewal button multiple times any time after purchasing the license, and each renewal will add 1 year to the expiration date. You can also contact our sales to get a quote if you need it billed as a single maintenance package.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.