FreeRTOS debug with STMCubeMX projects

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB FreeRTOS debug with STMCubeMX projects

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    shubaksa
    Participant

Hi,

is it possible to use the FreeRTOS LiveWatch debugger view also with STMCubeMX generated projects? I was trying to do so, but only opening the tabs gives this error:

VisualGDB version: 6.0.101.5147
    —————— System.Exception ——————
    System.Exception: Missing queue type
    at PluginFreeRTOS.LiveWatch.NodeSource..ctor(ILiveWatchEngine engine)
    at PluginFreeRTOS.LiveWatch.FreeRTOSLiveWatchPlugin.CreateNodeSource(ILiveWatchEngine engine)
    at wc3.OnActivated()
    at VisualGDB.GUI.AdvancedAnalysis.LiveWatch.LiveWatchController.set_SelectedView(fg value)
    trace=[PluginFreeRTOS.LiveWatch.NodeSource..ctor:283, PluginFreeRTOS.LiveWatch.FreeRTOSLiveWatchPlugin.CreateNodeSource:6, wc3.OnActivated:11, VisualGDB.GUI.AdvancedAnalysis.LiveWatch.LiveWatchController.set_SelectedView:36]

Am I missing something or is it just not compatible?

Thank you,

Stefan

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Normally, it should work just fine. This specific error means that the debugging symbols in the executable do not contain the xQUEUE or Queue_t type, so VisualGDB does not have sufficient information to decode the state of the internal FreeRTOS structures.

Please double-check that the debugged program is actually using FreeRTOS and has valid debugging symbols. Queue_t should normally be defined in queue.c. You can also double-check that the symbols reference it by checking sizeof(Queue_t) in the regular Watch window.

shubaksa
    Participant

I wasn’t able to fully track this issue down, but it works once I add at least one Queue via STM32CubeMX. Seems like there is some optimization magic happening in the background if you don’t do that.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No worries. For what it’s worth, the FreeRTOS Live Watch functionality is implemented in a separate open-source plugin, so you can always tweak it if your setup involves something very specific that otherwise doesn’t work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.