MbedOS Projects referencing to external mbed-os directory

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB MbedOS Projects referencing to external mbed-os directory

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

Hello,

first of all, another great update of VisualGDB. Thank you very much.
    I don’t visity your website frequently (maybe every 2-3 months) but each time, or almost each time, VisualGDB once again has improved.

Now with your extended support of Mbed OS, especialy since you utilize med-cli, I’d like to raise a question I already asked ~1 year or so ago, just in a newer fashion.

Imagine having several Mbed OS projects simultaniously. If each of these projects incorporate an individual copy of mbed-os (the Mbed OS directory), this takes up a lot of space. This only makes sence if your projects refer to different version of Mbed OS.

Please let me elaborate.
    Currently we use KEIL µVision5 to develop Mbed OS projects. To save space and keep projects indepedant from the actual mbed-os diretory we use the following folder-structure.

root
    |– mbed-os_v50904
    |– mbed-os_v50907
    |– mbed-os_v51001
    |– Project01
    |– source
    |– include
    |– main.cpp

We achieve this by using the mbed-cli python tools by exporting a Mbed OS project to a specific folder, refering to a location where the ‘mbed-os’ folder is located.

Example:
    python.exe ..\mbed-os_v50907\tools\project.py -m NUCLEO_F767ZI -i uvision5 –source . –source ../mbed-os_v50907

This exports an Mbed OS project based on mbed-os-5.9.7 (the git-branch was previously cloned to ../mbed-os_v50907, relatie to the projet folder) for µVision5. The same would obviously be possible for projects based on a make-file utilizing the ARM-GNU compiler.

Example (makefile + vsCode):
    python.exe ..\mbed-os_v50907\tools\project.py -m NULEO_F767ZI -i vscode_gcc_arm –source . –source ..\mbed-os_v50907 –profile ../mbed-os_v50907/tools/profiles/debug.json

Changes withing a project, made to the underlying mbed-os project a handled via utilizing ‘.mbedignore’ featues during project export. Individual files mentiong within ‘.mbedignore’ are ignored / not reference to the actual project and therefore can be ‘overwritten’ by the project, by replacing / offering an alternative file for the ignored one.

Soo…. I now told you a lot about his and that, but to the point (TL;DR)

TL;DR

• Would it be possible to implement a feature in the Mbed OS wizard to either refer to an already existing mbed-os projectfolder instead cloning an incorporating a ‘new’ one?
    • Or, is it possible to automaticaly refer an already existing project to another ‘external’ mbed-os folder?
      E.g. ../mbed-os_v50907?

Greetings,
    Christian

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. We have done a few quick checks and it looks like we should be able to support it.

We will get back to this and post an update here in the next 1-2 weeks.

Chris
    Participant

Hello,

first, please excuse my late reply.

If it would be possible to implement this, it would be a tremendous improvement to our current workflow and maybe I could pursue my collegues to give VisualGDB another try. (In regards to MbedOS)

Best regards,
    Chris

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, this is still queued. Please allow another 3-5 business days for this.

Chris
    Participant

Hi,

any news on this?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, please try this build: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.4.10.2609.msi

Simply select a shared checkout when creating a new project and VisualGDB will automatically configure it for you.

Thanks again for the wait and let us know if you have any further questions/suggestions.

Chris
    Participant

Hi,

thank you for your considerations towards my suggestion.
    I hope, I will find the time during the next few days to have a look at your solution.

Thanks,
    Chris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.