how to edit MainWindow.ui

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB how to edit MainWindow.ui

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BlackDogWhite
    Participant

I’m trying to do some initial development of GUI programs for the Pi using Visual Studio and VisualGDB. I have a Hello World program from walking through some of the sysprogs tutorials, which results in a very simplistic MainWindow.ui file.

What is the expected method of graphically creating the ui file?  With a “normal” Windows / Visual Studio development cycle, I’d simply use the Resource editor from within Visual Studio.  But what is the process when developing for the Pi and using VisualGDB?

Ron

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please use the Qt Designer tool (or Qt plugin for VS). It will provide basic functionality for editing the UI files, although it is not as comprehensive as the WinForms/WPF editors.

BlackDogWhite
    Participant

Ahhh,  Thanks for the hint.  I was able to install and develop a Hello World app now using the Qt Plugin for VS.

But now there is a (File -> New -> Project) template for a Qt program {GUI, console, etc}; or for a VisualGDB program { Linux, Android, MinGW, etc}.  Is there a preferred path for developing a GUI/Linux(Pi) application?

I think I’ve answered my own question (and am posting it here for when I forget!).  I was able to open up a previous hello world type app created using a VisualGBD template; double click the MainWindow.ui and that opened the Qt Designer program.  From there I could add buttons and link button presses to actions; and then run the program via the debugger!  Excellent!!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good to know it works. The recommended way to create Qt-based VisualGDB projects is still using the VisualGDB project wizard. This will setup the necessary file transfer rules, prepare the toolchain if necessary, and will ensure that various cross-platform build tools will work together properly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.