Can't open .nrg files in Windows 10

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu Can't open .nrg files in Windows 10

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    topalex2
    Participant

Hi everyone.

I haven’t been able to read any .nrg files with wincdemu since I changed my operating system from windows 7 to windows 10 a few months ago, in late august.

I’m running windows 10 in its latest build, with all updates installed, on a 64 bits system; the machine is a Toshiba Satellite R830. All drivers are updated, too, as far as I can see. I have tried to uninstall-reinstall wincdemu to see if that fixed the issue – to no avail. Most puzzling thing is, I’ve also tried other similar virtual optic drive emulator programs, and they won’t work, either.

Wincdemu installs without problems (at least no error message shows during installation). Apparently, it also mounts the nrg images, and a corresponding virtual CD unit appears (though it will always appear marked as a “BD-ROM UNIT” which I also find a bit strange, but I supposed should be normal). Most of my .nrg disc images are backup images I made with Nero from CD audio discs of my good old CD collection which I no longer have with me and now I would like to play, make MP3 from them, etc.

But (and here is where problems show up) whenever I have any .nrg mounted with Wincdemu: 1) if I try to play the virtual CD with any CD/media playing program (VLC, Windows Media Player…), the program will break down inmediately and show an error message, or it will begin  in a cycle of repeated wrong starts and get trapped on it, so I’ll need to stop the process with the task manager. And, 2) if I try to inspect and navegate the contents of the mounted virtual CD with Windows explorer, as one can do with a real CD loaded in a real optical hardware drive, no single .wave sound file appears inside the disk, nothing!: the disk appears completely empty, except for one single “desktop.ini” file – however, the corresponding .nrg file is not empty at all, it wheights a lot of megas, and I used to be able to mount it (or navegate its contents, plenty of .wave files included in it…) with virtual disc drive emulators such as wincdemu as well as play it with media players, convert to MP3 from it with other applications, before I updated to Windows 10.

I don’t know if anyone has been having this problem, and I could not find an entry in this forum about it.

¿Could anyone help? I’d really appreciate… Thanks.

hale50
    Participant

Hi to changeteam.

User topalex2 has very well described the problem. I’m seeing exactly the same behaviour of wincdemu.

May I add that iso-files (DVD images) are handled correctly.

Hope that wincdemu is updated very soon. Thanks.

topalex2
    Participant

Hi, hale50. Good to know I’m not the only one –  I also hope this will stirr some reaction to the issue, in the form of a wincdemu update…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.