Cannot start debugging

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualDDK/VirtualKD discussion Cannot start debugging

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    support
    Keymaster

You need to open project settings and set the “output file name” there. VisualDDK uses it to find which driver to load.

jlam9012
    Participant

Ok thanks, I changed that and it’s trying to load wlreg.sys now! 🙂 Now I get a window like this:

And it is getting stuck here. The VisualDDK Console also says “Trying to enable physical device already in use”.

support
    Keymaster

Did you run VisualDDK monitor on the virtual machine? Are you sure the firewall is not blocking the port?

jlam9012
    Participant

Yeah I am running the DDKLaunchMonitor on the VM and it says:

“Bound to 1 IP address. Listening to UDP port 36676…”

I turned off firewalls on both host and and vm.

support
    Keymaster

Does pressing “refresh” in Visual Studio change anything?

jlam9012
    Participant

Nope, hitting “refresh” doesn’t change anything. Sometimes it also says that “(Symbols for srv .sys are not loaded)”

jlam9012
    Participant

I tried reinstalling everything and starting from scratch using the tutorial “Making your first driver – complete walkthrough. When I try to start driver debugging i get this error:

“Exception! Please attach debugger, and/or create a dump file and send it to support @sysprogrs.org”

How do I do attach debugger or create a dump file?

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

You can create the dump file by opening Task Manager, finding the error message, selecting “switch to process” from the context menu and finally right-clicking on the process (should be devenv.exe) and selecting “create dump file”.

jlam9012
    Participant

Ok I created the crash dump file. I’ve sent it to support@sysprogs.org

jlam9012
    Participant

Are you able to use this crash dump file?

support
    Keymaster

Yes, but I’ve got very strange results. Visual Studio shows the wow64 functions in the call stack and pretty much nothing more. I am not sure I can extract any info from that file. Could you try to attach to the process in VIsual Studio (debug->attach), press “OK”, let Visual Studio stop on a breakpoint and:
    1) Create a dump using Visual Studio (debug->create dump)
    2) Look at the call stack and make a screenshot of it.

You can alternatively download the VisualDDK sources from SourceForge and have a look which code line causes the exception.

jlam9012
    Participant

Ok, I’ll attach a screenshot of that and which modules should I look around for the exception?

support
    Keymaster

The module is DDKDebugger-dbg.dll. Normally, you simply attach and press the OK button in the “please attach debugger” dialog. This will cause a forced breakpoint, so that the debugger will stop and show the error location.

jlam9012
    Participant

Ok, what process am I attaching it to specifically?

support
    Keymaster

devenv.exe (enable native debugging!)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.