VisualGDB doesn't connect to target STM32F4

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VisualGDB doesn't connect to target STM32F4

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    PChopade
    Participant

Hi,

I am using VS2017 + VisualGDB on WIN7 64bit and target is STM32F4-Eval board.

Last week downloaded the VisualGDB-5.3r8-trial.msi and installed it. Was able to debug the simple BlinkLed program.

Yesterday added the License Key and after that was not able to debug the same program.

Uninstalled VisualGDB and reinstalled it, but it failed to debug.

Attached are screen images of the failure of debug mode.

I raised a support request at sysprogs.com/support but after that I found this forum.

Sorry for repeating it here.

Appreciate your help/suggestions to overcome the issue.

Regards,

PC

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The license key should not be related to this – the problem you are encountering occurs between OpenOCD and ST-Link and the license key only affects VisualGDB.

Most likely the connection fails due to one of the following reasons:

• The ST-Link itself got damaged. This can be checked by trying to connect to it via the ST-Link utility (also updating firmware to the latest version might help).
    • The drivers for the ST-Link got corrupted. Uninstalling the driver and reinstalling the regular ST-Link driver from ST might help.
    • Some USB virtualization/forwarding software is interfering with ST-Link. Disabling any software of this type might help.
    PChopade
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply.

By using STM32 ST-Link utility V4.2.0.0, I can connect and flash binary to the board.

I also have System Workbench for STM32 AC6 Eclipse based IDE, it works perfectly with the board.

So i don’t think there is any issue with my USB ports.

Will you please provide some hints or redirect to links where I can get to know how to check if some USB virtualization/forwarding software is interfering with ST-Link?

Regards,

Prashant

PChopade
    Participant

Hi,

Still not working with latest OpenOCD.

But i found a workaround and it was to downgrade OpenOCD to one version back and everything started working.

Might be a bug in OpenOCD latest release.

Thanks all,

Prashant

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good to know it works with the older OpenOCD version.

Based on the debug output you provided, it looks like the issue is somewhere between the libusb library and your USB controller driver. Unfortunately this appears to be specific to either your USB controller, or some additional software installed on your machine, so it’s hard for us to narrow this down. That said, we regularly release new OpenOCD packages based on the latest sources, so if this issue gets fixed by the OpenOCD/libusb maintainers, our builds will automatically pick up the fix.

If you would like to use the latest OpenOCD, our best advice would be to try checking if you have any USB-related software installed (e.g. USB-over-network) and try uninstalling it. You could try running this setup on a different machine to confirm that it’s specific to the USB driver and not to that specific ST-Link instance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.