Visual Studio 2017 RTW and VisualGDB 5.2r8

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Visual Studio 2017 RTW and VisualGDB 5.2r8

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    devrope
    Participant

Hi

Trying out the release version of Visual Studio 2017, and the first issue was that I had to uninstall VisualGDB and then reinstall to make it appear in VS2017.
    At first I tried just to modify the installation, adding 2017 (already was installed in 2015) but that didn’t work.

Next issue is that every time I start VS I get this annoying warning:
    “We’ve noticed that extension ‘VisualGDB’ is slowing Visual Studio.”
    The only option when clicking “Manage Visual Studio Performance” is to disable the extension…

Besides that, it works great!

/Roger

Elliott
    Participant

I can confirm all of this, I had the exact same experience upgrading from VS 2015 to 2017.

One of the fancy improvements in VS 2017 is supposed to be faster startup time, so I feel like it’s just being a bit aggressive with extensions but it would be nice if there was a “yeah I got it, quit bugging me” option in the warning!

Elliott

• This reply was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Elliott.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have been investigating this since the slow extension reporting was added in one of the VS preview builds and it looks like t might be caused by the “Start your trial” message shown by VisualGDB when you start VS. We will look into displaying the window when a VisualGDB project is opened instead.

If you believe something else is affecting the startup time, please check the View->Other Windows->VisualGDB Diagnostics Console window. The first line there should report the actual time it took VisualGDB to initialize.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.