User Variables in Pre-processor macros

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB User Variables in Pre-processor macros

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wobble
    Participant

Hi, I’m using Visual GDB to do embedded firmware on an STM32 micro.

I’ve using Version 4.3 release 4 (VisualGDB-4.3r4-trial.msi).

In my project, I’ve created 2 user variables (MAJORVERSION and MINORVERSION) that contain the major and minor firmware version numbers of my project.

I’m passing these values to the source code via a “Preprocessor macro:

SWVER=”\”V$(MAJORVERSION).$(MINORVERSION)\””)

I can see this being passed to GCC in the Output window during the build process. I can also see that this value gets tranferred to “gcc_Release.h”, when makefile settings are altered. My source code correctly evaluates the SWVER macro correctly (SWVER = “xVy”) – and all is well!

However, if I change the value of the user variable (say MINORVERSION) via Visual GDB Project Properties and “Apply” the change, the gcc.Release.h file is not updated – even after a (re)Build. All I can do is to manually force the make file settings to be re-created and then the changes are passed across – but this is not ideal and I’ll forget!

Any ideas on what to do / how to solve this.

Thanks (in advance),

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Do you get the ‘testing toolchain’ dialog? If no, try changing an arbitrary line on the Makefile Settings page (e.g. add a space to CFLAGS and remove it back) and clicking “Apply”.

wobble
    Participant

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. That is pretty much what I thought / found

You said “Do you get the ‘testing toolchain’ dialog? ” – No I don’t

You said “If no, try changing an arbitrary line on the Makefile Settings page (e.g. add a space to CFLAGS and remove it back) and clicking “Apply”.” – That’s exactly what I found that I have to do to get it to work. Is there anyway to make that automatic (i.e. when I change the user variable that is used in the Makefile Settings page)?

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The logic of automatically detecting that would be probably too complex and error-prone given a fairly simple workaround. We could add a button to trigger retesting manually if that helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.