UpdateSysroot can't complete: path too long

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB UpdateSysroot can't complete: path too long

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jov
    Participant

Hi, I’ve installed raspberry-gcc4.9.2-r4.exe but even after installing in C:\GNU\R, UpdateSysroot.bat can’t complete because it encounters a path that is longer than 260 characters. Last file mentioned is /usr/lib/node_modules/nore-red/node_modules/serialport/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/node_modules/request/node_modules/har-validator/node_modules/is-my-json-valid/node_modules/generate-object-property/package.json. Copying that to C:\GNU\R\arm-linux-gnueabihf\sysroot leeds to a path of 232 characters. The tool probably errors out on the next node_modules subdir.

Can I solve this? For instance, by changing arm-Linux-gnueabihf\sysroot\ in a\s\ somehow?

Thx, Joep

jov
    Participant

Changing arm-Linux-gnueabihf\sysroot\ in a\s\ doesn’t do the trick. It just goes wrong here: /usr/lib/node_modules/node-red-node-serialport/node_modules/serialport/node_modules/node-pre-gyp/node_modules/request/node_modules/har-validator/node_modules.

I wonder why I seem to be the only one getting these errors?

jov
    Participant

The above was based on a file-by-file transfer. Changing to tar I get this:

/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvbe.so
    /usr/lib/xorg/protocol.txt
    tar: cups/backend/vnc: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

After that, UpdateSystools.bat continues and reports a successful synchronization. I have no idea which files are synchronized, probably none …

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Normally tar should skip the inaccessible files and handle the rest, so the rest of the files should be synchronized properly (unless you see clues to the opposite, e.g. if the sync stops before the progress bar reaches the end).

jov
    Participant

SmarTTY seems to copy files by using the traditional X:\ Windows file naming, which limits the maximum path length to the infamous MAXPATH (260 chars). As I understand, maximum path length on Linux is practically unlimited, so SmarTTY could always run into this problem. I suggest to switch to the Unix naming convention \\?\ for Windows files. That way, SmarTTY can use path lengths up to 2^15 characters (Microsoft info here).

For now, I’m back to NetBeans because I can’t get this toolchain synchronized. In the VisualGDB properties of a project the Synchronize toolchain button now is grayed out, don’t know the cause of that. Too bad I’m not getting it all working yet, because I’d really like to continue using Visual Studio. With my first goal to get this up and running with VisualGDB.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We are sorry about that. SmarTTY does not use the \??\ syntax because Visual Studio and many other tools don’t and hence the downloaded files will still be unusable.

The grayed out button should really not be related to this errors (VisualGDB/SmarTTY simply skips the paths that are too long), so please feel free to provide more details on your setup (the Toolchain.xml file and the relevant screenshots) and we will help you set it up.

Jmdu_44fr
    Participant

Hi,

I upgraded my Raspian tonight.

After, I tried to synchronize SYSROOT (file by file because TAR solution can’t achieved) but I’ve got the same message : too long path

I tried to move the root directory to reduce the path and prevent this exception but it didn’t work.

What can I do ?
    Thanks for your help

BR,

Jm

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This sometimes happens when the target system has loops in symbolic links (e.g. /usr/include/subdir linked back to /usr/include, resulting in an infinite /usr/include/subdir/subdir/subdir/… loop). In most of the cases those errors can be safely ignored.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘UpdateSysroot can't complete: path too long’ is closed to new replies.