Unable to mount ISO files from a DFS path

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu Unable to mount ISO files from a DFS path

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi there,

We need to be able to mount ISO fies from a DFS (Distributed Files System) UNC path.

At the moment WinCDEmu copes well with regular UNC shares such as \servershare…, but seems to be unable to handle DFS pathes – niether using domain FQDN (e.g., \my.domain\namespacedfsroot…) nor NetBios (\DOMAINNAMEnamespacedfsroot…) – both fail with an error. Note that both DFS path formats (doman and netbios) work perfectly well for all other needs such as windows explorer, vbscripts, etc. We’re using Win2008 DFS with WinXP/SP3 clients.

For the time being I’ve bypassed the problem by first mounting the DFS share on a logical network drive (“net use”) and then mounting WinCDEmu from the logical drive (which works okay), but it seems preferable that WinCDEmu cope with DFS pathes by itself.

Thanks,
    Uri.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi,

Just installed version 3.3 on a 32 bit Windows 7 system, with all the options left at the default. I wanted to mount an image over the network using a mounted network share (S: in my case), but after pressing OK on the “Mount a CD/DVD image” popup, I’m getting the message “The system cannot find the path specified”. Apparently the solution which works for the TS does not work for me.

I’ve checked various possible causes for this problem:
    – Could it be the ISO? No, I can mount a copy of the ISO from a local drive without problems. Installing a program from the ISO while writing this. This also means that WinCDemu is doing the rest of its job quite properly. I’m happy.
    – Could it be a “first run” problem? I hadn’t mounted anything before trying to mount this ISO, but after mounting a local copy, I still cannot mount ISOs from this S: drive
    – Could it be the path length? Probably not: it’s only 64 characters, or 66 when counting backslashes as 2 characters, or 67 when including a trailing zero. This is well within the limits allowed by Windows.

The workaround of creating a local copy works for me, but a real solution would be preferred of course.

Best,
    Bart

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.