Timeout to long issue

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Timeout to long issue

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rumchiller
    Participant

Hi,

from time to time, when I am debugging a STM32 with OpenOCD and some error occurr (e.g. I put a wrong address in the Memory-Viewer or disconnect spontaneous the device), there is a long timeout of about a minute in which a can’t access VisualStudio. Is it possible to reduce this timeout?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Normally if a gdb command takes too long, VisualGDB should show a popup window allowing to cancel that command. Does it appear in the case you are describing?

Rumchiller
    Participant

Normally this window appear, but in some cases it don’t. And then there is a long timeout. Worth mentioning: Normally VisualStudio goes into background, when it hangs, and is asking you, if you want to force it to close. But in this special case I can close it only via the task-manager. Or I must wait that minute.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This looks like a bug. VisualGDB is designed to always show the timeout window and to be able to cancel the hanging gdb immediately. If you could let us know the exact steps to reproduce the hang, we should be able to fix this quickly.

Rumchiller
    Participant

I will reply if the error occurr next time and provide some infos about it. First for all thank you.

Rumchiller
    Participant

So i got the issue today again:

Started debug session and stopped it immediately. After waiting for a minute i got a VisualStudio message:

While the message is showing, the debugger is running. When I click “OK”, the debugger is ending the session.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This could happen if you press Shift-F5 while VisualGDB is still initializing the debug session. Unfortunately this is a VS limitation that cannot be easily addressed. We may add a workaround to this in the future versions, but it will involve unreliable hooks into VS internals. As a workaround, please press the “Cancel” button in the GDB Session window instead of Shift-F5 if you want to abort a debug session before it has initialized.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.