Teensy 3.2 toolchain

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Teensy 3.2 toolchain

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    alessandro
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to use the Teensy 3.2 board for a robot project. Currently I’m using  Visual Studio with Visual GDB for other projects, and I would like to use the same configuration even for this project.

I’m trying to understand which toolchain use for compiling code for Teensy.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The answer depends on the board type. Is the board based on Linux, or is it running barebone firmware?

alessandro
    Participant

Hi,

I would like to write barebone firmware. I found some tutorials on internet (link) but these are not exactly easy to follow.

Thanks

support
    Keymaster

OK, which of the boards are you using? The one with AVR microcontroller or the ARM Cortex-based one?

alessandro
    Participant

32 bit ARM Cortex-M4.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by alessandro.
    support
    Keymaster

Then you can simply use our ARM toolchain. You can combine our legacy device tutorial with the tutorial you mentioned to enter the correct settings into VisualGDB.

We have also added Teensy boards to our watch list, so if their popularity continues to grow, we will add direct support for some of them.

gigamegawatts
    Participant

Teensy is actually not a great match for VisualGDB.  While you might be able to use VisualGDB to build the code, debugging it is pretty much impossible because the Teensy doesn’t expose SWD or JTAG pins.  A hardware hack is possible – see http://mcuoneclipse.com/2014/08/09/hacking-the-teensy-v3-1-for-swd-debugging/ – but not for the faint of heart.  I doubt

If you really want to use the Teensy, you’re better off doing development using another development board with a similar Kinetix processor then deploy it to the Teensy (perhaps with Teensy’s Arduino IDE) when everything has been tested and debugged.

Dan.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.