Surprizing ESP32 support

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Surprizing ESP32 support

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kabron
    Participant
    1. After installing ESP32 toolchain 5.2.0/7/10/r1, I notice that update to 5.2.0/7/10/r7 is available, so I tryed to install it. Nothing changed after full update procedure.
    2. Inspecting Openocd folders I found out than there are no any mention about ESP32 chips. No required files are present and openocd itself(!!!) (c:\SysGCCr7\esp32\esp32-bsp\OpenOCD\) does not have ESP chips in supported devices list:
    3. Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2017-05-09) Error: Unknown target type esp32, try one of arm7tdmi, arm9tdmi, arm920t, arm720t, arm966e, arm946e, arm926ejs, fa526, feroceon, dragonite, xscale, cortex_m, cortex_a, cortex_r4, arm11, ls1_sap, mips_m4k, avr, dsp563xx, dsp5680xx, testee, avr32_ap7k, hla_target, nds32_v2, nds32_v3, nds32_v3m, esp108, or1k, quark_x10xx, or quark_d20xx
    4. After that there is nothing surprising that any Test settings attempt in the Debug settings leads to Visual Studio Crash and Reboot.
    5. Along with this, in another debug tool, openocd-esp32 and xtensa-esp32-elf-gdb works fine from the command line.
    6. This is my n-th and I’m afraid the last attempt to use the product. The question is how such situation is it possible and what is required to make it works.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Kabron.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Wow, this looks like something in the installation/configuration gone horribly wrong. We have just re-tested a clean R7 toolchain install, but could not reproduce any crashes. The OpenOCD output also mentions a different build date:

C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\OpenOCD\bin\openocd.exe -c "gdb_port 8786" -c "telnet_port 8787" -f interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h.cfg -c "adapter_khz 3000" -f target/esp32.cfg -c "echo VisualGDB_OpenOCD_Ready"
    Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0 (2017-08-05)
    Licensed under GNU GPL v2
    For bug reports, read
        http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
    adapter speed: 3000 kHz
    Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "jtag". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
    force hard breakpoints
    VisualGDB_OpenOCD_Ready
    Error: libusb_open() failed with LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED
    Info : clock speed 3000 kHz
    Info : JTAG tap: esp32.cpu0 tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
    Info : JTAG tap: esp32.cpu1 tap/device found: 0x120034e5 (mfg: 0x272 (Tensilica), part: 0x2003, ver: 0x1)
    Info : Target halted. PRO_CPU: PC=0x400D0A58 (active)    APP_CPU: PC=0x00000000 
    Info : accepting 'gdb' connection on tcp/8786
    Info : Use core0 of target 'esp32'
    Info : Target halted. PRO_CPU: PC=0x40090FA3 (active)    APP_CPU: PC=0x400803C0 
    Info : Auto-detected flash size 4096 KB
    Info : Using flash size 4096 KB
    Info : dropped 'gdb' connection

It looks like you might have accidentally started an incorrect version of OpenOCD (or accidentally copied it over the version in the R7 toolchain). Our best advice would be to delete the toolchain directory and try installing it again. Please also ensure you are using the latest VisualGDB 5.3R5 (early pre-release v5.3 builds are not compatible with the latest toolchains).

Kabron
    Participant

Now I got in reply to Test and could not figure out:

VisualGDB version: 5.3.15.1896
    —————— System.Exception ——————
    System.Exception: Stub exited before a gdb connection could be made
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.WPF.DebugMethodTestWindow.ThrowTestFailedException()
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.WPF.DebugMethodTestWindow.TestThreadBody()

openocd launches fine from the command line.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Unfortunately it’s hard to provide any help without seeing the full context: OpenOCD output, screenshots of your settings, screenshot of your About window to show the current VisualGDB state. Please attach those and we will try to help you.

Kabron
    Participant

Just did all symbol by symbol as described in getting started blink project.

No output from the openocd except command line.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please attach the screenshot of your About window and your debug settings so that we could check the VisualGDB state.

Kabron
    Participant

I could not find the way to display About window. What should I do?

Now I’m trying to continue on my home PC, but trial says expired, though 8 days must left.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Kabron.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The About window would indeed not be shown if the trial had expired, and various other VisualGDB commands and components (e.g. responsible for launching OpenOCD) would not work either.

We usually give a trial extension voucher to help our prospective customers resolve the issues that were not resolved during the normal trial period so that they could decide whether the product works for them. As you have activated the extension voucher on a different machine, it got flagged as redeemed and would not work the second time. If VisualGDB works without any problems on the other machine, most likely either some tools on your home computer are corrupt, or the problems are caused by the expired trial.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.