Stuck with QuickStart for 1.5.6

Sysprogs forums Forums Other tools & products Stuck with QuickStart for 1.5.6

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    member5036
    Participant

I am trying to understand and modify the XPSDrvSmpl in the WDK. That is my ultimate goal.

I have Visual Studio 2010 Premium loaded on the Windows 7 Enterprise virtual machine I want to use as my test platform. That is, my development and the development environment are on the same virtual machine. I have a “copy” of this machine stored so that it may be quickly restored, if necessary.

In the QuickStart guide everything is until step 6. At first I ran target/vninstall.exe by selecting “create new boot entry” where “Windows 7 [VirtualKD]” was offered. Selecting that and rebooting the VM (logging off, actually) was the end of the story. I could not get back into the VM.

Restored the VM and ran target/vninstall.exe again, this time selecting “use existing entry”. I could reboot, and then moved on.

In step 7 it is not clear is VirtualBox should be moved from C:Program FilesVisualDDKVirtualBoxx86 to C:Program FilesVisualDDKVirtualBox. I did not move it.

In step 8 I cannot get a qualifier to work. If I enter “pipe://kd_VMXPPRO”, even though this is not an XP VM, I get “unable to connect to pipe://kd_VMXPPRO”, the system cannot find the file specified.”

Being new at this (my experience is in C# and ASP.NET development) I do not understand what to put into the qualifier.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Thomas

support
    Keymaster

Hi, Step 7 is very important. You need to replace the original version of VBoxDD.dll by the special version provided by VirtualKD. This will force VirtualBox to create a special virtual device that will allow the OS to communicate with VisualDDK.
    Note that the original VBoxDD.dll should be renamed to VBoxDD0.dll, so that the modified version can actually find it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.