Solution Wizard fails with UnauthorizedAccessException

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Solution Wizard fails with UnauthorizedAccessException

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    markgiese
    Participant

VisualGDB is failing to create a very basic project with a single source file. Here’s the failure spew:

VisualGDB version: 5.2.15.1452
    —————— System.UnauthorizedAccessException ——————
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
    at EnvDTE.SolutionClass.AddFromTemplate(String FileName, String Destination, String ProjectName, Boolean Exclusive)
    at pb.a_2(Solution d, String c, String b, String a, Boolean e)
    at o.a(String b, String a)
    at yj.a_2(wo1 b, String a, String c)
    at u9`1.Execute(Object b, Int32 c, Object[]& a, Object[]& e, wizardResult& d)

Repro steps:

In VS2017 start page click “Linux Project Wizard” under “Recent project templates:”

Select “Linux Project Wizard” in the “New Project” dialog and click OK

Select “Use GNU Make” then “next”

select “Build the project under Linux over network” – I have a remote machine specified and the SSH window comes up fine. The default toolchain is GCC

Select “next”

Select “Store source files on Windows computer” and “Upload modified sources to..”

select “finish”

Then you get the “Access is denied” message box.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Looks like you are trying to create a project in a directory that does not have write permissions. Please try creating it in a different location or run Visual Studio as administrator.

markgiese
    Participant

Hi,
    VS was run with administrator privileges and I have write permissions to the directories involved. IN any case, the punishment for not having access to a folder is a crash?

thanks for following up with this

–Mark

markgiese
    Participant

Hi,
    So I found that the log file is the root of this evil…

C:\Users\mgiese\visualgdb\simple\LinuxProject1\Debug\LinuxProject.log

I don’t understand why the permissions on that file were set to deny write access to a normal process.

–Mark

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, this exception is thrown by the VS itself; VisualGDB simply displays it and cancels the wizard. As this is something very rare that should normally not happen, we won’t be adding any special handling for this case. That said, if anyone else encounters this problem, please feel free to update this thread. If it turns out to be not as rare as we assume, we can easily add a check for it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.