remote debugging with semihosting fails soon after starting

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB remote debugging with semihosting fails soon after starting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    davidoz
    Participant

Hi Support,

I’m having trouble with remote debugging a board which is on the same network as the VisualGDB host.  I am running openocd on the remote computer which connects to a stm32h7 via an st-link v3 probe.  I have set up IPs, port numbers, telnet connection, etc which all work.

However, in less than a minute a JTag communications error occurs which causes VisualGDB to throw an exception.  I sometimes see the the remote openocd display an error when it tries to open a file on the host drive.  I still get the exception even when there are no file error.  I don’t seem to get the problem when debugging locally, only remotely.  JTag is unable to halt the micro after the communications error occurs, but pressing the Continue button on VS re-attaches it.

I’ve tried various settings on semi-hosting, but made no difference.  I’ve tried different computers and networks, but no difference.  I’ve updated openocd on host an remote, but no difference.

I notice VisualGDB also launches a local openocd, but I’m not sure if that’s intentional.

I’ve attached screenshots of VS when the exception is thrown and the remote openocd output.  Remember, the file errors don’t always occur and therefore may not be related.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Cheers

David

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by davidoz.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sporadic JTAG errors are typically caused by wiring problems, too fast clocks or unstable power. They are completely outside of VisualGDB’s control, so our best advice would be to try running gdb/openocd manually. If it works better, we can help you configure VisualGDB to match the manual session results. If not, it’s not something VisualGDB could automatically fix.

davidoz
    Participant

I should also point out, the exception usually occurs at the spot shown in the screenshot.  However, it is not always the case.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by davidoz.
    davidoz
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.  I’ll get the hardware guys to look into it.

Thanks

David

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.