Pointer Incorrectly Displayed

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Pointer Incorrectly Displayed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MikeGranby
    Participant

Visual Studio 2019, Linaro GCC for ARM 7.4.1 targeting Linux on a ‘Bone.

The code contains a typedef-ed pointer to an unsigned char, and the GDB Session history correctly shows the value as 0xB2DD0000, but the tooltip in VS and the value displayed in the Local Variables window show only the lower byte of 0x00, as if the display routine is applying the BYTE type rather than the pointer type.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by MikeGranby.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by MikeGranby.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

No problem, we have reviewed the related logic and found a possible cause. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.5.1.3330.msi

If it doesn’t help, please send us a full gdb log and we will do a deeper investigation.

MikeGranby
    Participant

Same issue, I’m afraid. It’s not a VisualGDB project so I can’t capture a log that way. (It’s build using an in-house tool that redirects VC to use GCC.) But I’ve attached the GDB interactions captured from the debug window, and also a capture of the Local Variables window showing the issue.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Sorry about that and thanks for the log. It looks like the pointer size did get queried correctly, so it’s hard to say what is going on.

We have added more logging to this build: VisualGDB-5.5.1.3331.msi

Please try enabling View->Other Windows->VisualGDB Diagnostics Console and reproduce the problem. Then attach the lines starting from “Parsing ‘<expression>'” and we should be able to understand what is going on and provide a hotfix.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.