NRF52 migration from gcc

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB NRF52 migration from gcc

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jykorea25
    Participant

Hello,

I was wondering how I should migrate my code based off of gcc to visualgdb for NRF52?

It seems like for now, I would need to start from a new template.

Thank you in advance.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

One of the ways to migrate the code would be to create a new project and then add existing sources (either one-by-one, or via Add->Import Directory Recursive command provided by the Custom edition).

Another option would be to select “Import Existing Project” in the VisualGDB Project Wizard. It will let you pick a folder with your source files and will add them to the created project.

jykorea25
    Participant

Thank you for the quick response.

I have a few more questions.

1.1 Based on article #19898, it is true that we can only use the “current SDK version” of visualGDB if we don’t use the custom version? Will this make us forcefully migrate to the “current SDK version” if we are behind or ahead?

1.2 In VGDB Setting -> Embedded Project, I was able to locate “shared files location”. If this is the place where the SDK is pointed, can we use a different version( newer or older) by just using the NRF52 official SDK?

2. In VGDB Setting -> Embedded Framework, I found a section called nRF5x libraries. What exactly happens if I check an element? It doesn’t seem to change the skd_config.h or do anything.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem, please find the answers below:

1. If you are not using the Custom edition, you can only have 1 version of the SDK installed at once. It doesn’t have to be the latest version from our servers, but it has to be the same version for all the projects. If you want to use multiple versions without upgrading to the Custom edition, you can simply rename the BSP folder and edit the ID in the BSP.XML file – VisualGDB will then treat it as a separate BSP. You can then switch projects between different versions of the SDK by editing the BSP ID in the nrf5x.xml file.
    2. The “shared files location” points to a directory of the VisualGDB-supplied BSP package. It is generated from the original SDK and includes fixes necessary for the project to build out-of-the-box (e.g. patches to linker scripts that allow including the softdevice into the main project binary). You can download BSP packages generated from older SDKs here and install them via VisualGDB Package Manager, however using the raw SDK itself won’t work as it will not include the necessary patches. Our tool for generating the packages from the original SDK is open-source through, so you can experiment with it if you want to support some specific version of the SDK (note that SDK 15.0 support is currently in development and is close to being released).
    3. The Embedded Frameworks is a convenient way to add sources and include directories from various nRF5x components to the project. It doesn’t edit the configuration file and only affects the list of source files, include directories and sometimes preprocessor macros. You can find out what exactly each framework does by locating the <EmbeddedFramework> element in BSP.XML, however for Nordic devices the frameworks are just convenience wrappers around the corresponding directories in the SDK.
    jykorea25
    Participant

Thanks!

I appreciate the thoughtful answers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.