New ESP-IDF toolchain for V4.1

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB New ESP-IDF toolchain for V4.1

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dedvalson
    Participant

Hi,

Espressif released the official V4.1 release of ESP-IDF just 2 days ago. Unfortunately they made a change that breaks compatibility with the latest VisualGDB toolchain available. The new toolchain requires a different command line argument and the release make files expect the new argument to be there.

See https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf/releases for more information (search for esp-2020r2)

Any attempt to build for the new release produces:

Error unrecognized command line option '-mfix-esp32-psram-cache-strategy=memw'; did you mean '-mfix-esp32-psram-cache-issue'? 

This only came out 2 days ago but I am hoping that a new toolchain that is compatible with this breaking change will soon be available. Or perhaps you can suggest a work around. Unfortunately I really need a fix that was first introduced in this build of ESP-IDF.

Thanks,

Don

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have briefly retested the latest ESP-IDF 4.1 with our 8.2.0-r6 toolchain (requires this build: VisualGDB-5.5.8.3769.msi) and it worked out-of-the-box (you need to use the ESP-IDF checkout selector to clone the 4.1 release explicitly).

However, it looks like the 4.2 release is now broken due to unresolved Python dependencies. We will look for a way to ship any extra dependencies together with the toolchain and will publish an update once it works reliably. In the meanwhile, you should be able to replicate the setup on your side by using the toolchain and VisualGDB build mentioned above.

dedvalson
    Participant

Hi,

This worked just as you said it would. I still had the R3 toolchain and a less recent version of VisualGDB. But that made me wonder if I was doing something wrong with updates. I have “Check for updates automatically” selected in the VisualGDB package manager but I did not get any notice that either of these were available. Have they been available for long? Was I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Don

support
    Keymaster

Due to some internal changes in the new toolchains, they are not fully compatible with VisualGDB 5.5 Preview 7. We are running some final tests on them and expect to release the v5.5 RC1 around next week.

Update: you can try our new R7 toolchain. It includes both ESP-IDF 4.1 and 4.2 and works out-of-the-box with the VisualGDB build linked above.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by support.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.