Need help configuring a specific setup

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Need help configuring a specific setup

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BitFlipper
    Participant

Hi,

I have VGDB Custom Edition, and need help setting up the following:

1. Windows (has a local copy of all sources)
    2. Linux build host (BuildHost)
    3. Linux debug host (DebugHost)

I’m using the Custom Project Wizard to create the project. It is important to note that the project needs to be built on BuildHost, but debugged on DebugHost. However the options seem to treat build/debug as the same system (Project > Computer used for building and debugging).

Previously I was able to work around this issue by entering DebugHost under “Computer used for building and debugging” since I was doing my file synchronization outside of VGDB. However now I’m working on a different project, and now I want VGDB to sync the sources for me. But now it is trying to sync the sources to DebugHost, instead of the BuildHost.

Can you let me know how to set this up so that the files are synced from Windows -> BuildHost, and then debugging is performed on DebugHost? Note that DebugHost has a read-only share to BuildHost, using the exact same path. So no sources need to be copied between BuildHost and DebugHost.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

EDIT: Note I don’t want to use gdbserver. I want to debug using gdb on DebugHost.

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by BitFlipper.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Normally selecting a “computer used for building and debugging” will affect the following functions:

1. The target machine for uploading the sources [not overridable, but can be disabled and replaced with a custom action]
    2. Machine where the build command is run [overridable]
    3. Machine where the debug command is run [overridable]

You can override #2 and #3 by setting the “Allow choosing build/clean/debug command hosts independently” checkbox on the Linux Project Properties page in VisualGDB Settings and then manually picking the host in the build command on the Build Settings page and/or the gdb command on the Debug Settings page.

Another option would be to disable the automatic source synchronization and synchronize it instead via a pre-build action (transfer a directory to a remote computer).

Please note that both options require the Custom edition or higher. If you are using a lower edition, you could work around by creating 2 project configurations (one for transferring the files and another one for building), although it would be less convenient than a 100% automatic setup described above.

BitFlipper
    Participant

Thanks for the reply!

Strange, I posted a reply the same day after the original post saying I was able to figure it out. However, for some reason that post is gone now. Not sure why.

I have the Custom version, so I was able to get it to work with some trial and error.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Strange, perhaps the reply did not get posted due to corrupt cookies or some proxy issues. Either way, good to know it works. If you encounter any further problems, don’t hesitate to let us know and we will help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.