NDK: Eclipse + VisualGDB co-debugging – GDB command timeout

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB NDK: Eclipse + VisualGDB co-debugging – GDB command timeout

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    VioletGiraffe
    Participant

I’m trying out VisualGDB to see if it’s better than Eclipse, but no luck so far. My project is somewhat complicated (the main Android.mk includes other Android.mk files, several static libraries are built and then composed into a single .so) and I couldn’t get Virtual GDB to import it properly, so it seems that co-debugging is the way to go. I launch Java debugging in Eclipse and then attach the debugger in Visual Studio as per instructions. It starts all right, but when it finishes initializing I get GDB timeouts one after another for different commands, and at the same time debugging freezes in Eclipse as well (Eclipse i running but doesn’t react to any debugging commands).
    Of course, the project cannot be built in Visual Studio at this point, I didn’t even add all the sources to the solution, but I assume it won’t matter. What could be wrong, how can I debug the issue?

ket
    Participant

Hi,

Could you please give more details on the issue? Are you using a virtual Android device? Is VisualGDB being run from a VM? What exactly do you mean by finishing initializing? Can you give some examples of the commands that time out?

Also, what issues do you get building the imported project in Visual Studio? The project imported as in our co-debugging tutorial should be compilable in VS whether the sources are added to the Solution Explorer or not.

VioletGiraffe
    Participant

As I’ve mentioned, my project has a complicated structure and it appears that VisualGDB can’t handle it properly. I’d need to create mk files for VisualGDB manually, it seems, and that’s way more work than I’m willing to put into it.
    I’m using a physical device connected via network. VisualGDB is being run in a Windows 8.1 VM. I’ll try to provide more information later today when I have time to experiment with it.

VioletGiraffe
    Participant

I’m on step 22 of the tutorial: http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/android/codebug/

After starting “Debug Android app” command I get a window “Visal GDB is preparing to debug your app”. After some time the window closes automatically, and a timeout message appears for -file-list-exec-source-files. If I abort this command, I get new and new timeouts (-exec-continue, -data-evaluate-expression etc.).

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please try setting the Android->Debug Options->Do not Query Source Files option. This will disable certain workarounds that depend on the file-list-exec-source-files command, but should overall improve the performance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.