Missing source files when setting breakpoints for debugging

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Missing source files when setting breakpoints for debugging

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tom.harvey
    Participant

Hello,

I’m currently working with a project that builds successfully on a linux remote machine, but I am having issues with debugging.
    The program runs as expected and i have the program outputted to an xlaunch window, but it is only finding a small fraction of the source code files for debugging.
    In the GDB session window i get this in the output when setting a break point for one of the source code files:

-break-insert -f /home/buildmaster/workspace/eclipse_src/core/RemoteControl.cpp:111
    &"No source file named /home/buildmaster/workspace/eclipse_src/core/RemoteControl.cpp.\n"
    ^done,bkpt={number="7",type="breakpoint",disp="keep",enabled="y",addr="<PENDING>",pending="/home/buildmaster/workspace/eclipse_src/core/RemoteControl.cpp:111",times="0",original-location="/home/buildmaster/workspace/eclipse_src/core/RemoteControl.cpp:111"}
    -break-after 7 0
    OK

The code definitely exists in that location and it has no problem building it, but I can successfully set a break point in another file and i get this output:

-break-insert -f /home/buildmaster/workspace/project/freetype/linux/derived.output.release/freetype-2.9.1/builds/unix/ftsystem.c:306
    ^done,bkpt={number="13",type="breakpoint",disp="keep",enabled="y",addr="0x00007ffff60ff558",func="FT_Stream_Open",file="builds/unix/ftsystem.c",fullname="/home/buildmaster/workspace/project/freetype/linux/derived.output.release/freetype-2.9.1/builds/unix/ftsystem.c",line="306",thread-groups=["i1"],times="0",original-location="/home/buildmaster/workspace/project/freetype/linux/derived.output.release/freetype-2.9.1/builds/unix/ftsystem.c:306"}
    -break-after 13 0
    OK
    info symbol 0x7ffff60ff558
    &"info symbol 0x7ffff60ff558\n"
    FT_Stream_Open + 344 in section .text of /home/buildmaster/workspace/project/freetype/output/linux/lib/libfreetype.so.6
    OK
    info line *0x7ffff60ff558
    &"info line *0x7ffff60ff558\n"
    Line 310 of "builds/unix/ftsystem.c" starts at address 0x7ffff60ff558 <FT_Stream_Open+344> and ends at 0x7ffff60ff55c <FT_Stream_Open+348>.
    OK

In “Show list of all source files” it says that “The following source files are listed in the currently laoded symbol files”. Is there any reason it only is showing a few of the source files here?
    Is there a way I can manually add the paths, or try a re-scan or something like that?

Thank you,

Tom

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by support. Reason: formatting
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This might have something to do with the debug symbol settings. Please follow this tutorial for a detailed explanation of symbol-related settings and troubleshooting tips. If you have any further questions, please let us know more details  per tutorial and we will help you understand what is going on.

tom.harvey
    Participant

Hello,

Thank you for the quick response, but it was to with my own build system instead.

support
    Keymaster

Good to know it works. If you encounter further issues, don’t hesitate to create another topic and we will be happy to help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.