Licence. New Dev Machine after 1 year of support ends

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Licence. New Dev Machine after 1 year of support ends

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    joeb
    Participant

If my year of free support runs out for VisualGDB and then I upgrade my computer or rebuild it and need the VisualGDB licence to be transferred to the new computer (and removed from the old one), will support do this even though my initial year of free support has finished?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The deactivation requests are handled on a case-by-case basis, but we do handle them even for licenses with expired support (please note that you will only be able to install the VisualGDB versions released within a year from your license purchase; we also advise making backups of all BSPs/toolchains/debug packages as the newer versions are not always compatible with older VisualGDB releases).

joeb
    Participant

I’m presuming that as long as anything that I bring along to build is backed up, e.g. older Visual Studio and older external code generators (ST32 CubeMX), that the version of VisualGDB that I use would always fetch the latest version of any packages from your servers that are known to work with it. Then everything works as expected if I come back to an old project.

OR. Are you saying that VisualGDB will always fetch the latest copy of packages that are on your server, and that some of these packages may not work properly with the VisualGDB that fetched them?

Sorry if that is a dumb question, but the reason I’m looking into VisualGDB is it saves me from all the hassle of setting up all these various open source things that think it’s fun to have to write a ton of scripts and pull in various dependencies yourself before something will work. So far, VisualGDB seems excellent at that, and I worry that I will need to know all the raw config stuff in the future, anyway, if I don’t continuously upgrade VisualGDB to keep up with the latest packages that it might pull in.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB indeed only fetches the packages that are compatible with the version you are running, however we won’t be able to keep the old versions of the packages accessible forever due to size constraints. If you are planning to use VisualGDB well past the expiration of the update period, please ensure you make your own copies of all related files, so you won’t rely on our servers to fetch them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.