Item type 'None' is not supported

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Item type 'None' is not supported

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bad
    Participant

Hi,

I tried to create a new project for Nordic nRF51 according to the tutorial http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/arm/nrf51/

I went through the wizard as described but when I click finish at the end, a pop-up appears saying “The item type ‘None’ is not supported by this project item provider. Parameter name: itemType”

What does this mean?

support
    Keymaster

Normally the ‘None’ item type is used to add Makefile and the .mak files to your project. “None” indicates that the file does not participate in the build. If your VS does not recognize it, most likely your installation is corrupt. Please try repairing it via Add/Remove programs.

alx
    Participant

Did any find a solution for this? I’ve been trying to test visualgdb for raspbi development and i’m having this exact message. Are there any other known addon that can affect visualgdb? I got Resharper and the MS’s C++ Linux Development Toolkit installed too.

I tried uninstalling Visual Studio 2015, even ran the VisualStudioUninstaller, reinstalled multiple time the visualgdb (v5.2r6) but to no avail. It worked on a clean VM.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by alx.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Do you get it for all kinds of projects? Are you able to create and debug a normal Win32 Console Application with Visual Studio? Could you also share a screenshot of the error and let us know at which exact stage it occurs?

alx
    Participant

hum.. generated console project has no files in it either and doesn’t compile anything.

here’s the error i get right after finishing creating the project in the template

Otherwise the solution looks like this.

trying to include the file will give me the message “A file, filter or folder already exists at the current scope of LinuxProject2 or access was denied for the desired operation”.

I’m gonna try to repair/install vs-studio again.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by alx.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

If the regular C++ Console project does not work, something is definitely wrong with the VS installation. If repairing it does not help, please try completely removing it and installing it again.

alx
    Participant

yeah, already tried it. I even tried Microsoft’s Total Uninstaller, sadly it doesn’t work. I guess at this point nothing short of resetting my whole windows installation will work i guess… not even sure how this is even possible.

thx for the help anyway.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, if the normal VS functionality is broken as well, there is not much help we could offer. You could try filing a bugreport on the Visual Studio Connect website or simply reinstalling your entire system.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.