Is there a way to disable VisualGDB from using Project Dependencies ?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Is there a way to disable VisualGDB from using Project Dependencies ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    CurtisHx
    Participant

Is there a way to stop VisualGDB from using the Project Dependencies to auto-update the Makefile with libraries?  I have 2 projects in my solution: Drivers and Application.  Drivers is a library that contains..well, the hardware drivers.  Application is the application, and uses the Drivers library.

Obviously, Drivers needs to be built before Application, so I set the build order so that Drivers is built before Application, which is all well and good.  I specified the library directory and name under the VisualGDB Project Settings -> Makefile.  Library directory is “../bin”.  Library name is “Drivers.a”.

HOWEVER, when I build Application, the “EXTERNAL_LIBS” variable gets changed to “../Drivers/$(BINARYDIR)/..\..\bin\libDrivers.a”.  This is a problem because my library directory is NOT  “../Drivers/$(BINARYDIR)/..\..\bin\” and my library name is NOT “libDrivers.a”.

How can I stop VisualGDB from using the solution build order to make decisions about where my libraries are located?  I will give VisualGDB / Make the exact library directory and library names.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by CurtisHx.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The easiest way would be to modify the Makefile to remove the references to EXTERNAL_LIBS so that the variable is simply ignored.

A better solution would be to try out the new MSBuild backend that comes with VisualGDB 5.2. It’s faster, more flexible and handles project references in a smarter way that does not break with non-default folder names.

CurtisHx
    Participant

Is there a way to convert existing projects over to use MSBuild as the backend?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, not fully automatically yet. You can either re-create a project, or manually create a new platform “VisualGDB” via the Configuration manager and set the VS properties like .vgdbsettings file, toolchain, etc. manually. If you encounter any problems, feel free to let us know and we will provide help.

We will consider adding automatic conversion to v5.3.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.