IntelliSense issues with 5.6R9

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB IntelliSense issues with 5.6R9

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    alef
    Participant

Hi!

I’m currently using the Arduino support in VisualGDB to develop a project for the Raspberry Pi Pico. VisualGDB is a really nice tool, and my team and I are considering purchasing some licenses for work.

The project depends on some standard Arduino libraries, and some other libraries defined by us. Moreover, we use includes and definitions from the Raspberry Pi Pico SDK. I am able to build the project correctly (all dependencies are found) and to upload the application to my Pico. However, the Clang IntelliSense shows a pretty long list of errors, and I encountered some difficulties to properly configuring things. The problem is related to all include files and definitions in the Raspberry Pi Pico SDK, which are not automatically found by the IntelliSense.

I tried to include the path to the Pico SDK in the “List of additional source files” in VisualGDB Project Properties -> IntelliSense Settings -> Clang IntelliSense. This doesn’t work. Nothing changes also if I include the path of each subdirectory in the Pico SDK in the “Extra library directories” in VisualGDB Project Properties -> Arduino Project -> Common Build Settings. The problem persists also if I include each subdirectory in the “Additional include directories” in the Project Property Pages -> C/C++ -> General.

Finally, inspired by the solution proposed here for a similar problem with VS Code, I explicitly included with -I all subdirectories in the Pico SDK in VisualGDB Project Properties -> Arduino Project -> Common Build Settings -> Additional CFLAGS. The IntelliSense problem appears to be fixed in this way, but I don’t understand why it happens in the first place since the project compiled successfully without errors from the beginning.

Could you please give me some hints to understand why this happens? Also, is there another way to solve this issue?

I’m using Visual Studio Community 2022 (version 17.5.3) and VisualGDB Custom Edition version 5.6R9 (build 4777).

Thanks!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

IntelliSense should work just fine out-of-the-box, unless you have already modified some settings that would interfere with it.

Please try creating a new project from scratch. If the problem persists, please share the full steps to reproduce the issue from scratch:

1. The steps should begin with launching Visual Studio. They should include every step necessary to create the project from scratch and reproduce the issue.
    2. Please make sure the steps do not involve any 3rd-party code as we will not be able to review it. If the problem only happens with a specific project, please make sure you can reproduce it on a clean project created from scratch. See this page for more information and detailed examples.
    3. The steps should include uncropped screenshots of all wizard pages, VisualGDB Project Properties pages and any other GUI involved in reproducing the problem. This is critical for us to be able to reproduce the problem on our side.
    4. Please also provide a screenshot of the Help->About VisualGDB window so that we could ensure we are checking it on the same version

You can read more about the best way to report VisualGDB issues in our problem reporting guidelines.

alef
    Participant

Hi!

I recreated the problem with the LED blink example created from scratch. You can find all screenshots in the screenshot pdf attached.

In the following, the complete description of the steps I executed:

1. Open Visual Studio and go to File -> New -> VisualGDB Project
    2. Open VisualGDB Arduino Project Wizard
    3. Select “Create a new “Blinking LED” project
    4. Select the Raspberry Pi Pico board
    5. Select Built-in GDB simulator as the debug method
    6. Project is loaded and successfully configured (Arduino settings are the standard ones)
    7. Build the project as it is -> Expected: successful build; got successful build with IntelliSense errors (build-log1.txt attached)
    8. Include something from the Pico SDK -> Got successful build with IntelliSense errors (build-log2.txt & Clang IntelliSense diagnostic console intellisense-log1.txt attached)
    9. Add all Pico SDK sub-paths to Additional CFLAGS (intellisense-paths.txt attached) -> Got successful build and IntelliSense fixed (Clang IntelliSense diagnostic console intellisense-log2.txt attached)

Thank you!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks, we have reproduced the issue. Turns out the 3rd-party RP2040 Arduino port you were using relied on a rather rare syntax form to pass the include directories to GCC, so VisualGDB was not catching it automatically. We have updated VisualGDB to handle it correctly. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.6.109.4854.msi

BTW, we also added the RP2040 port to the list of the 3rd-party ports automatically shown by VisualGDB in the device list, so you won’t need to add its package index file manually.

alef
    Participant

Hi,

With the new build the problem is solved and IntelliSense works fine.

Thank you for the support!

support
    Keymaster

No problem and thanks for providing the detailed repro steps so that we were able to reproduce the issue.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.