Installing VisualGDB 5.2 Preview 1 changes a lot of settings

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Installing VisualGDB 5.2 Preview 1 changes a lot of settings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    CurtisHx
    Participant

I installed VisualGDB 5.2 Preview 1 this morning, and a lot of settings have been changed automatically.  Code formatting was completely changed (uses tabs instead of spaces, tab size, ect).  In addition, any project created with a previous version of VisualGDB will switch to using Clang-based IntelliSense when opened in 5.2 Preview 1.  They were set to use the default Visual Studio Intellisense.  I’ll keep updating this as I come across other settings.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

VisualGDB 5.2 changed the internal settings engine to a new hierarchical one, so it will indeed not import some of the settings from the older version. However this will happen only once; after you change the settings again, VisualGDB 5.2 and all subsequent versions will use them.

Regarding the old projects, they got switched to Clang IntelliSense because the global “default engine” setting got reset to it. Please change it back via Tools->Options->VisualGDB and the projects will open under the VS IntelliSense again.

CurtisHx
    Participant

Are there plans to add a migration for the 5.2 release?  Having settings get changed out from underneath you is really annoying.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Currently not as it only affects the global settings (not per-project settings), so the change needs to be done only once. We will monitor the feedback on this and consider adding automatic settings conversion.

CurtisHx
    Participant

I’m running across another problem where Visual Studio’s Intellisense is just… not working with the C standard headers.  I have $(ARM_TOOLCHAIN_ROOT)\lib\bcc\arm-eabi\5.3.0\include as one of the directories under IntelliSense Settings.  The full path is valid and contains the standard headers I need (stdint and stdbool), assuming $(ARM_TOOLCHAIN_ROOT) points to C:\SysGCC\arm-eabi.

Also, VisualGDB keeps overwriting the IntelliSense preprocessor definitions.  I would like that list to include “NRF52” so the header chain for the Nordic NRF52 works correctly with IntelliSense.

CurtisHx
    Participant

I took a closer look at the IntelliSense problem:  It would appear that IntelliSense is not picking up the ARM_TOOLCHAIN_ROOT variable, or any of VisualGDB’s variables for that matter.  I tried changing all of the references to TOOLCHAIN_ROOT with the same results.

support
    Keymaster

The environment variables will only be picked up if you are using Clang IntelliSense. Are you using the default VS one?

CurtisHx
    Participant

We are using the default Visual Studio intellisense.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The default VS IntelliSense won’t indeed pick up the VisualGDB variables like TOOLCHAIN_ROOT, however it should pick up the environment variables like ARM_TOOLCHAIN. If it does not, please open VS Project Properties, go to the NMake page, select “Include Search Path -> Edit” and then click “Macros” and check for the environment variables pointing to your toolchain directory.

CurtisHx
    Participant

ARM_TOOLCHAIN is not in the available macros.

CurtisHx
    Participant

Also, how can I add “NRF52” to the __VisualGDB_CFG_Release and __VisualGDB_CFG_Debug preprocessor definition?  The include header chain doesn’t work properly without that definition, and VisualGDB keeps overwriting any changes I make to the “Processor Definitions” in the IntelliseSense settings.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Does ARM_TOOLCHAIN expand properly when you open cmd.exe and run “echo %ARM_TOOLCHAIN%”? If not, perhaps the toolchain is not configured as relocatable on that computer? You can mark it as relocatable via Tools->Embedded Tools Manager.

You can add the NRF52 macro directly to the Preprocessor Macros field on the Build Settings page. This will affect both building and IntelliSense.

CurtisHx
    Participant

Where’s the Embedded Tools Manager?  It is not under Visual Studio -> Tools menu.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

If you are using version 5.2, it has been renamed to “Manage VisualGDB Packages”.

CurtisHx
    Participant

Alright.  Found that.

On another note: Is there a way to force VisualGDB to use the existing C/C++ Code Formatting?  We have solutions that create Windows applications and Embedded apps, and our devs want to be able to format both kinds of projects with the same formating.  Currently, if you make a change in one, you have to manually update the other.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.