I try to eval the latest VGDB build (3031)

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB I try to eval the latest VGDB build (3031)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hello,

As far as I have remembered my password for this forum, I have decided to share my opinions on my new attempt to try the VGDB Linux configuration. It looks like you have fixed file synching after all.

1. It looks like VGDB does not work without Android part being installed during custom install. The Linux configuration is treated as Android one in this case. Ok, let us install the whole features.
    2. Some of my problems are probably because the VGDB does not work smoothly with a version control system that require a checkout and keeps project files read-only on disk. This is just an assumption (I keep seeing complaints about read-only files from VGDB in some scenarios). I do check out everything manually to help the process.
    3. VGDB probably does not work with VS Linux projects. And probably it shall not.
    4. VGDB breaks the colors of the C++ classes or variables (makes them black on black). At least for the Blue (extra contrast scheme).
    5. Let us add the VGDB Linux configuration to my complex project:

VisualGDB version: 5.4.104.3031

—————— System.InvalidOperationException ——————

System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine.VCProject.AddConfiguration(String ConfigurationName)

at tb.AddNewPlatformAndEnsureConfigurations(String a, String[] b)

at dv1.t(ih g, IProjectEditContext d, c e, no1 c, e a, Boolean f, o[] b)

at he1.d(h92 c, IProjectEditContext b, ih a, String d)

at e11.NewLinuxConfiguration.Execute()

1. Let us suggest that the (5) fail is due to the fact that I have changed the Linux directory from the /tmp/… one to my /home/… one. This is weird but let us try to work in the tmp directory. This worked. But I have broken something and decided to recreate the configuration.
    2. This time I get on creation:

—————— System.Exception ——————

System.Exception: Failed to create debug/release configurations for the VisualGDB platform

1. I have restored everything from the source control, and now I get:

—————— System.InvalidOperationException ——————

System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object.

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine.VCProject.AddConfiguration(String ConfigurationName)

at tb.AddNewPlatformAndEnsureConfigurations(String a, String[] b)

And that is all. My VS solution is totally broken. I cannot add my LinuxDebug configuration to one of its projects anymore. I have tried to restore everything from the source control – I am stuck with the (8) exception.

The “Hello, world” simple example really works. Provided I use standard source code directory structure (it is when the sources are mixed with the VS project files, its temporary directories and VGDB temp – i.e. totally unusable for a production application, IMO) and the Linux tmp directory. The debugger cannot print the “Hello, world” due to insufficient rights but I already see sudo option and it may probably help.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like your installation is corrupt. Please ensure you are using an unmodified VisualGDB installer downloaded from our site.

Michael
    Participant

I use VisualGDB-5.4r4-trial.msi with VS 2019 release (not preview) on a fresh test machine (Win10, physical, not VMWare, but through RDP) as far as I cannot evaluate VGDB on my workstation any longer. Though I have had to reinstall it many times (non-standard directory) and alternate it with one of the previous version (I do not have it anymore but I believe it was 5.4r3 — a version with the new files synch feature I have been told about by the people who follow the information about VGDB).

support
    Keymaster

It looks like your installation is corrupt. Please ensure you are using an unmodified VisualGDB installer downloaded from our site.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.