How to output the compiled assembly?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB How to output the compiled assembly?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CurtisHx
    Participant

How I list the assembly from the compiler?  I tried adding the -S option to the CCFAGS settings under VisualGDB Project Properties-> Makefile settings, but only the object files wind up in the Debug folder.

support
    Keymaster

The easiest way to do that is to copy the build command line from the Output window, replace “-c” with “-S” and “-o <object.o>” with “-o <output.S>” and run it manually from the Command Line Prompt. Then the assembly output will be saved to <output.S>.

CurtisHx
    Participant

Is there a better way to do it?  I would like to configure the project to output the assembly as well as object files for all of the compiled files during a build.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, you can edit the Makefile as follows:

#VisualGDB: FileSpecificTemplates        #<--- VisualGDB will use the following lines to define rules for source files in subdirectories
    $(BINARYDIR)/%.o : %.cpp $(all_make_files) |$(BINARYDIR)
        $(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) -c $< -o $@ -MD -MF $(@:.o=.dep)
        $(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) -S $< -o $(@:.o=.S)

Then modify the SOURCEFILES line so that VisualGDB regenerates the file-specific templates. This should start generating a .S file for each source file.

CurtisHx
    Participant

Nice.  That’s exactly what I was looking for.  I’m still fairly new to gcc and makefiles.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.