how to get exception information on esp8266 when crashes?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB how to get exception information on esp8266 when crashes?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

When using the gdbstub, I can’t find a way to get the exception trace information from chip. The “Inline GDB Stub Output” doesn’t show it and none of the logs I’ve enabled have any information.

Also, I have had very poor luck setting a breakpoint or breaking into a running program with gdbstub. Am I missing something?

Thanks…Keith Rhodes

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The gdb stub relies on running code on the same processor as your program, so many crashes would render the stub itself unresponsive. Debugging over JTAG could be a better alternative.

The stub also does not support breakpoints in FLASH. Please try moving your functions to RAM in order to set breakpoints in them.

I understand you cannot breakpoint in flash. When a program is running, I want to run “Debug / Break All”, but it rarely works.

The jtag won’t work for me because I need the SPI channel for something else.

Doesn’t the exception information get dumped to the UART?

Thanks…

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It does, but if the same port is open by gdb that expects special gdbserver packets, it’s somewhat tricky to get that output out.

Please try running the ‘set debug remote 1’ command to force gdb to dump the communication with the gdbserver. This might force it to display the exception information “as is” instead of simply discarding it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.