How to Debug Boot loader code once We have linked the Main application with it?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB How to Debug Boot loader code once We have linked the Main application with it?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nrbhatt007
    Participant

Hello Guys,

I am using the STM32G071xx Nucleo Board along with VisualGDB Embedded Custom License for my Application.

I had followed all the guidelines that are given in the Tutorial of “Creating Embedded Bootloader Projects with MSBuild” given at https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/tutorials/arm/bootloader/msbuild/.

I am able to now debug the code of Main application that is linked with the Boot loader project successfully. But how can I Debug the Boot loader code in this case?

Do i need to debug the boot loader code separately?  or Can I Debug the Boot loader code from here?

How?

Please suggest the best way from which I can debug both the codes i.e. Boot loader and Application .

Thanks & Regards,

nrbhatt007

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

In theory, you could use the add-symbol-file command to load the debugging symbols for both main application and the bootloader simultaneously. In practice, it usually results in weird behavior (e.g. breakpoints work, but gdb starts confusing the source files).

The only reliable way we could advise is to switch between either of the symbol files back-and-forth (see step 33 of this tutorial).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.