GDB path error for ESP32-C3 in new r4 toolchain

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB GDB path error for ESP32-C3 in new r4 toolchain

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    gigamegawatts
    Participant

Hi,

After upgrading to the newest ESP32 toolchain, I get an error when I try to debug my ESP32-C3 board:

Missing GDB executable: c:\SysGCC\esp32\tools\riscv32-esp-elf\1.24.0.123_64eb9ff-8.4.0\riscv32-esp-elf\bin\riscv32-esp-elf-gdb.exe

That is, indeed, missing, because the path to the executable is different. It should be:

C:\SysGCC\esp32\tools\riscv32-esp-elf\esp-2021r1-patch1\...

I’m running VisualGDB 5.6 Beta 5.

I was able to work around the problem by copying the existing folder to the path where VisualGDB was looking, so no big deal.  I’m just reporting it in case you can recreate the error and fix it.

By the way, the USB JTAG support on the C3 works great! It’s nice to have a reliable debugger for an Espressif board. GDB is still not fully working when using Espressif’s ESP-IDF toolchain outside of VisualGDB, so I guess your version of OpenOCD has fixed/avoided some issues that they haven’t ironed out yet.

Regards,

Dan.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks, we have confirmed the issue and released an updated toolchain resolving this (R5).

Regarding OpenOCD, our build is indeed based on a slightly later Git revision than the official binary release, so it might work a bit better. Although the credit goes to Espressif – our changes to OpenOCD are related to better integration with VisualGDB and don’t affect the device-specific part at all.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.