Formatting engine crash/not responding

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Formatting engine crash/not responding

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CrzyRndm
    Participant

VisualGDB: 5.4R4

Project type: Embedded

Formatting engine: clang-format, attached custom .clang-format file (NOTE: was not specified in visualGDB settings, found automatically in repository root)

After some time (so far seems to be random, I’ve had it occur after <30 seconds or >10 minutes) formatting stops being applied to the file. The telltale sign is that creating a newline doesn’t indent at all. When this occurs, if I close the affected file and reopen formatting will be applied again.

There is a lot of code being pulled in from previous projects at the moment so portions of code that won’t compile immediately is being pasted in frequently (although all compiler errors are normally resolved before the next fragment is pulled in)

CrzyRndm
    Participant

Upload again…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks for reporting this. Based on your description, most likely something in your codebase causes the Clang formatting engine to enter an invalid state that would prevent it from properly computing the indentations. We have added a few extra checks that will automatically reset the formatting engine in case it is not able to produce any meaningful results. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.4.104.3073.msi

CrzyRndm
    Participant

Testing now

codex653
    Participant

I have also been experiencing this issue quite frequently using the latest VGDB build at the moment (5.4R4 build 3031) and running on VS2019 Community Edition 16.0.0  Preview 5.0 as well as VS2017 Community Edition 15.9.11. I will install the linked VGDB build and test it too.

codex653
    Participant

After using it for around 30 min, this appears to be working much better.

CrzyRndm
    Participant

A full day with the linked build and I haven’t had a lockup. Thanks for the quick fix 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by CrzyRndm.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.