esp8266 with sysprogs openOCD and gdb

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB esp8266 with sysprogs openOCD and gdb

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    chronos
    Participant

Hi folks,

thanks for the excellent work supporting JTAG debugging on the esp8266/lx106.

I’m trying something a little different – I have an Olimex esp8266-EVB wired and built the sysprogs version of openOCD in Linux and would like to 1) confirm that wiring is correct and JTAG is working and 2) if possible, use plain old gdb to do my debugging.

I’m using an Olimex ARM-USB-TINY-H and have wired my board according to the tutorials.  Output from openOCD is below:

[test@u:~/src/openocd] 130 $ sudo /usr/local/bin/openocd -f tcl/interface/ftdi/olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h.cfg -f tcl/target/esp8266.cfg
    Open On-Chip Debugger 0.9.0-dirty (2015-12-12-15:35)
    Licensed under GNU GPL v2
    For bug reports, read
    http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
    trst_and_srst separate srst_gates_jtag trst_push_pull srst_open_drain connect_deassert_srst
    adapter speed: 1000 kHz
    stop_wdt
    Info : clock speed 1000 kHz
    Info : TAP esp8266.cpu does not have IDCODE
    Warn : Warning: Target not halted, breakpoint/watchpoint state may be unpredictable.
    Info : accepting ‘gdb’ connection on tcp/3333
    undefined debug reason 7 – target needs reset
    Warn : target not halted
    Warn : xtensa_poll: DOSR has set InOCDMode without the Exception flag. Unexpected. DOSR=0x04
    target state: halted
    Info : halted: PC: 0x44
    Info : debug cause: 0x0
    Info : dropped ‘gdb’ connection

From gdb I attempt to connect and issue monitor reset, monitor halt, and monitor reset halt. monitor halt produces the warning above (DOSR has set InOCDMode …), I get an error in gdb indicating that monitor reset halt isn’t supported for xtensa.

I’m stumbling around in the dark here so apologies for that.  Is it possible to confirm that my setup is correct in this configuration?  And can plain gdb be used?

Appreciate any help.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, but OpenOCD is quite fragile and we only support the Windows binaries that we built and tested ourselves. You are welcome to experiment with Linux builds of the ESP8266 of OpenOCD, but you’ll have to do trial-and-error to figure out what’s wrong.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.