ESP8266 Serial debug fails

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB ESP8266 Serial debug fails

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kabron
    Participant

Windows 10 Pro x64, Visual Studio Ultimate 2012, Latest VisualGDB demo.

Hardware: NodeMCU, Witty Board, ESP-01. All boards works fine with VisualMicro and Arduino IDE.

The only thing that seems(??) to works is serial downloading. But I’m not sure, because LED on GPIO13 does not blink.

Serial out to terminal looks like:

rf_cal[0] !=0x05,is 0x38

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)

load 0x3ffe8000, len 932, room 16
    tail 4
    chksum 0xca
    load 0x3ffe83b0, len 764, room 4
    tail 8
    chksum 0xee
    load 0x40100000, len 30044, room 0
    tail 12
    chksum 0xa4
    csum 0xa4
    OS SDK ver: 1.5.0-dev(950076a) compiled @ Nov 4 2016 19:29:32
    rf_cal[0] !=0x05,is 0x38

GDB stub freezes on target remote for 30s and then on -exec -continue forever. Ping GDB frezes Visual Studio forever.

Spending 2 days I had no any success.

I’m afraid to buy VisualGDB without any perspectives to force it to work.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Kabron.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Kabron.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This could be a problem with the baud rate. If you have the gdb stub enabled and initialize it properly, it should print the following output to the serial port after you restart it:

$T05#b9

If you don’t see this, either the baud rate is incorrect or your program does not start properly. If the FLASH programming succeeds, please try programming a “Blinking LED” project. Does the LED start blinking? If not, please try changing the FLASH mode on the Debug Settings page of VisualGDB Project Properties as your board may use a different FLASH type.

gojimmypi
    Participant

Hi Kabron –

I am in a similar situation! Although the topic is JTAG, part of the exercise was to revert to Serial GDB debugging on my Node MCU ESP8266:

https://sysprogs.com/w/forums/topic/jtag-programming-the-nodemcu-esp8266/#post-10466

In short, check the debug settings at *project creation time*… and make sure they match your board’s actually hardware.

I really think there’s a problem when changing the parameters once a project is created.

Also – note VisualGDB creates *two* binary files – whereas the Arduino core creates only one. Thus the memory size is even more important to have correct (and to distinguish whether the units are bits or bytes)

Hope this helps…. 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.