ESP32 Toolchain Update

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB ESP32 Toolchain Update

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Craftplorer
    Participant

Hi,

I updated the esp_idf  to the current github state with your generator tool but when i try to compile the project i fail to link the project.

Im guessing this is because the toolchain is outdated or am i wrong? How hard would it be for me to update the toolchain and when is the next update planned ?

Build Output:

1> Linking ../VisualGDB/Debug/EmbeddedProject1…
    1> c:/sysgcc/esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/4.8.5/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lcoexist
    1> c:/sysgcc/esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/4.8.5/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lcore
    1> c:/sysgcc/esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/4.8.5/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lnet80211
    1> c:/sysgcc/esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/4.8.5/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lphy
    1> c:/sysgcc/esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/4.8.5/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lpp
    1> c:/sysgcc/esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/4.8.5/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lrtc
    1> c:/sysgcc/esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/4.8.5/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lsmartconfig
    1> c:/sysgcc/esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/4.8.5/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lwpa
    1> c:/sysgcc/esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/4.8.5/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lwps
    1>collect2.exe : error : ld returned 1 exit status

• This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Craftplorer.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Craftplorer.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This happens because the esp-idf repo does not actually contain all the libraries. Instead they are automatically downloaded first time you build a project with it.

Hence the recommended procedure is to build one of the sample projects from esp-idf on Linux and then copy the esp-idf directory on Windows and try generating a BSP from it.

We will look into updating our ESP32 toolchain once the esp-idf 2.0 reaches the final release stage.

Craftplorer
    Participant

Ok thank you. I build it with msys2 and copied it. Now it get another linking error with nvs flash. I tried to add -lstdc++ but this didnt helped. Any idea whats is missing?

1>—— Build started: Project: EmbeddedProject2, Configuration: Debug VisualGDB ——
    1> Linking ../VisualGDB/Debug/EmbeddedProject2…
    1>VisualGDB\Debug\nvs_item_hash_list.o : error : undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)’
    1>VisualGDB\Debug\nvs_item_hash_list.o : error : undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)’
    1> VisualGDB/Debug/nvs_item_hash_list.o: In function `nvs::HashList::clear()’:
    1>C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components\nvs_flash\src\nvs_item_hash_list.cpp(30): error : undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)’
    1> VisualGDB/Debug/nvs_item_hash_list.o: In function `nvs::HashList::insert(nvs::Item const&, unsigned int)’:
    1>C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components\nvs_flash\src\nvs_item_hash_list.cpp(53): error : undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)’
    1> VisualGDB/Debug/nvs_item_hash_list.o: In function `nvs::HashList::erase(unsigned int)’:
    1>C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components\nvs_flash\src\nvs_item_hash_list.cpp(80): error : undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)’
    1>VisualGDB\Debug\nvs_pagemanager.o : error : undefined reference to `operator new[](unsigned int)’
    1>VisualGDB\Debug\nvs_pagemanager.o : error : undefined reference to `operator delete[](void*)’
    1> VisualGDB/Debug/nvs_pagemanager.o: In function `nvs::PageManager::load(unsigned int, unsigned int)’:
    1>C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components\nvs_flash\src\nvs_pagemanager.cpp(24): error : undefined reference to `operator new[](unsigned int)’
    1> VisualGDB/Debug/nvs_pagemanager.o: In function `nvs::PageManager::load(unsigned int, unsigned int)’:
    1>C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components\nvs_flash\src\nvs_page.hpp(64): error : undefined reference to `operator delete[](void*)’
    1>VisualGDB\Debug\nvs_storage.o : error : undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)’
    1>VisualGDB\Debug\nvs_storage.o : error : undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)’
    1> VisualGDB/Debug/nvs_storage.o: In function `nvs::Storage::clearNamespaces()’:
    1>C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components\nvs_flash\src\nvs_storage.cpp(35): error : undefined reference to `operator delete(void*)’
    1> VisualGDB/Debug/nvs_storage.o: In function `nvs::Storage::~Storage()’:
    1>C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components\nvs_flash\src\nvs_page.hpp(64): error : undefined reference to `operator delete[](void*)’
    1> VisualGDB/Debug/nvs_storage.o: In function `CompressedEnumTable<bool, 1u, 256u>::set(unsigned int, bool)’:
    1>C:\SysGCC\esp32\esp32-bsp\esp-idf\components\nvs_flash\src\compressed_enum_table.hpp(47): error : undefined reference to `operator new(unsigned int)’
    1>collect2.exe : error : ld returned 1 exit status

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, when it comes to ESP8266 and ESP32, each new version of the framework comes with its own set of issues, so we only officially support the ones that we retest and repackage. You can try experimenting with different settings and libraries at your own risk to get it to work, or simply wait until we repackage the final esp-idf release and resolve all the issues we discover. As it requires substantial effort on our side to resolve those issues each time, we only do that for major SDK releases. Sorry.

flykickbird
    Participant

hi, esp32-idf has just released the 2.0, is there any updates, thx.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, we will check it out and release an updated toolchain within the next month.

MrZANE
    Participant

That sounds great.

I am possibly going to use the ESP32 to an important project in about a months time.
    It would be really great if you could also check out the newly implemented trace functionality (about a week old) and see if you could integrate this in a way so it works with visual studio/visual gdb.
    This would help alleviate debugging with regards to the restricted breakpoint functionallity in the ESP32.

Thanks in advance

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have done some further research into ESP-IDF 2.0 and it looks like some changes to it totally break JTAG debugging and FLASH programming, so it may take us some extra time to fully figure it out.

We will have a quick look into the ESP32 tracing functionality and will assess whether it is stable enough to be supported via VisualGDB.

MrZANE
    Participant

Ok, Sounds like a little bit more work then 😉
    I’m confident you’ll work it out, I just have to hope it’s in place when I (hopefully) get the project.

Best of luck.

EndlessDelirium
    Participant

Any news? Would also be rather interested in an update.

support
    Keymaster

Yes, we have just released the new toolchain.

Note that it requires a few extra configuration steps, so please follow the updated ESP32 tutorial to get started with it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.