CppEngineHost.exe very slow import

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB CppEngineHost.exe very slow import

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    b.timofte
    Participant

I have a folder with 3000 files(no subfolders)

When i import it the process CppEngineHost.exe stays at 12% of CPU usage. I also have to wait 15-20 minutes !! on a core i7 machine for this import to finish

Why is the tool so poorly optimized for large projects? I see this tool only good for hobbyists with 100 .C /.H files max 🙁

• This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by b.timofte.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by b.timofte.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

We have actually tested it on huge projects like the Linux Kernel (~9000 files) and we have heard from other customers using it with large codebases. So this looks like something might not be working properly in your case.

Normally VisualGDB does all the indexing in the background, so you only need to wait if you start something like “Go To Definition” (VisualGDB will display the progress and the information on whether it’s using all cores). If you are waiting for something else, perhaps it’s caused by some other Visual Studio extension or VS itself? Could you clarify what GUI do you see when you wait?

b.timofte
    Participant

The VS GUI fucking blocks . I tested on Windows 10 and windows 7 with vs 2015

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, this more looks like a VS limitation than VisualGDB one. Please try disabling the Clang IntelliSense engine via Tools->Options->VisualGDB. If this does not affect the slowdown, this is not caused by the engine. Then please try disabling all other VS extensions (e.g. Resharper or VisualAssist).

jimP
    Participant

Is it normal for “Go To Definition” to always take a really long time?  When I have the Clang IntelliSense disabled it goes very quick, but Intellisense doesn’t work very well overall (can’t resolve a bunch of types including int64_t, shows errors everywhere).  However when Clang IntelliSense is enabled it takes over a minute anytime I select “Go To Definition”.  Is there any way to speed this up?  It is pretty much unusable when it is that slow.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The “Go to definition” should only take some time on the first use after major project changes so that VisualGDB can update its cache. Perhaps you are changing some common include files that cause the cache to be invalidated?

If not, could you please open the Clang IntelliSense Diagnostics Console, clear its output, then run the Go-To-Definition command and send us the diagnostic output that is generated when you run it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.