Cortex core registers

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Cortex core registers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    tw39124
    Participant

I am debugging a project on an STM32F439, which is a Cortex-M4 based MCU. I can use the Hardware Registers window to see all of the STM peripheral registers (GPIO, UART etc) without any problem.

However, there does not seem to be a nice user interface by which I can view the core Cortex-M registers. I’m not talking about the generic CPU registers that I can view in the Visual Studio registers window (r0, r1, PC, SP etc, although a better UI than the awful VS text-based window would be nice!), but those defined in the ARM documentation (the System Control Space, NVIC etc). These are all at memory-mapped addresses, so it would appear to be a trivial task to include them in the XML register definitions files. Has anyone written the XML definitions for these registers? Is there a reason they are not included in the STxxxxxxx definitions?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Are you using the latest STM32 package (should be version 4.0 under Tools->VisualGDB Package Manager)? It should contain register definitions for ARM Cortex registers.

tw39124
    Participant

Thanks, this appeared to fix it – I can now see the ARM Cortex registers.

dabramson
    Participant

I am looking to see the Processor Core Registers in an STM32F4 chip. The ones in Figure 2 in the attachment (from PM0214 by ST).

I do have the ARM Cortex M4 node, but do not see these registers under it. I’m using 5.3R3 (build 1864) and STMDevice Package version 4.3.

Please help!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please use the via Debug->Windows->Registers command to view the CPU registers.

dabramson
    Participant

That window just says “No data available”.

I checked that “enable address-level debugging” is enabled under Tools->Options Debugging Node.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please try right-clicking there and selecting the register groups you need.

dabramson
    Participant

When I right click in the VS Registers window it gives me a with Copy (disabled) and Select All. There are no register groups. Interestingly I can see the CPU core registers when I hover over them in the disassembly window. Any other suggestions?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This could happen if the gdb stub you are using did not report the registers correctly or if VisualGDB did not parse them properly (our plugin for Segger J-Link had a bug with the registers, but it got fixed years ago). Please let us know which gdb stub you are using and also attach:

• A screenshot of the registers window with the right-click menu
    • Your VisualGDB version and build number
    • The full GDB log from the debug session as described here

Thanks.

cbc
    Participant

Hi.

I have the same problem as dabramson. I can’t see the processor core registers for a STM32F4 when I open:
    Debug->Windows->Registers.

But I found a solution.

In the watch window I can display the registers when I write:
    $r0
    $r1
    $r2
    $r3
    $r12
    $sp
    $lr
    $pc
    $xpsr
    $msp
    $psp
    $primask
    $basepri
    $faultmask
    $control

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

If those expressions work in the watch window, the gdb stub is reporting them correctly. So you should be able to right-click in the Registers window and enable other register groups (VS only enables the basic CPU registers by default).

cbc
    Participant

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

The only options I get when I right click in the Registers window is:
    Copy
    Select All

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Strange, this should normally not happen. Could you please attach a screenshot of the entire VS window (and the context menu) illustrating this? It might contain some clues explaining what is going on.

cbc
    Participant

Hi. Thanks for your answer.

I have tried to attach a screenshot.

Attachments:
    cbc
    Participant

Hi.

I’m sorry. The resolution was not to good. This one should be better.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.