Code Folding ?

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Code Folding ?

• This topic has 21 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by jona.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    jona
    Spectator

Is there a trick to getting code folding to stay on?

I am running 5.4R3 build 3000.

support
    Keymaster

Sorry, it is not supported. We might be able to add it in one of the next versions of VisualGDB but it’s hard to give any estimates at this point as it would require non-trivial changes on our side.

jona
    Spectator

I don’t understand.. it usually works! I’ve been using it for months. Is that just by chance?

support
    Keymaster

Sorry, it’s hard to suggest anything specific based on the description you provided.

jona
    Spectator

Code folding had been working as well as it ever has since I started last year with VGDB. I just naturally thought it was supported by VS’s editors. It pops on and off at times .

Not sure what other info I could provide here.

Least of my problems working in this environment though. I absolutely HATE ST-Link though! 🙂

support
    Keymaster

Sorry, unfortunately it is hard to suggest anything specific without the exact steps to reproduce the problem. Please try comparing the setups where the code folding works vs. where it doesn’t and try checking if some specific setting, or some specific sequence of steps triggers the problem. Unfortunately, without having specific steps to reproduce it on our side, we are not able to locate the root cause of the problem and fix it.

jona
    Spectator

Should regions also not be collapsible?

support
    Keymaster

No.

jona
    Spectator

Get it working for me by next week. 🙂

support
    Keymaster

As mentioned in our previous reply, unfortunately it is hard to suggest anything specific without the exact steps to reproduce the problem. Please try comparing the setups where the code folding works vs. where it doesn’t and try checking if some specific setting, or some specific sequence of steps triggers the problem. Unfortunately, without having specific steps to reproduce it on our side, we are not able to locate the root cause of the problem and fix it.

jona
    Spectator

I’m just joking with you.

It has been working since I started with VGDB almost a year ago. I have a ton of regions that I was regularly using to make it easier to get around my code. They no longer fold. Nothing folds. If you say it isn’t supported, I am ok with that. There are no specific steps , except upgrading VGDB and I am not asking for help determining the solution if you say it isn’t supported.

Any plans to get that working? Sure is handy!

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by jona.
    support
    Keymaster

Sorry, looks like there is some misunderstanding going on. Based on your initial question we assumed you were looking for VisualGDB to remember the state of folded code blocks between the sessions (that is not supported).

Just code folding and region folding is a part of VisualGDB and is supposed to work, although it could break if the Clang IntelliSense could not get the necessary information from the low-level Clang logic. We can help you get it to work, however we would need to know the following details about the problem:

• What is the exact project type you are using (Embedded/Linux/ESP-IDF/Arduino/etc)?
    • Does the code folding work for a freshly created project of the same type?
    • If not, does it work for a freshly created MinGW project (VisualGDB Windows project wizard).

It would also help to see the screenshots illustrating the problem (or a short video demonstrating the problem).

Generally, as VisualGDB includes numerous features and settings, in order to avoid misunderstandings, please consider using the following structure when describing the issues:

1. What exact steps you take (from starting VS, not including any existing projects).
    2. What do you expect to see.
    3. What do you actually observe.

E.g.:

1. Start VS. Create a new Embedded Project Wizard with STM32. In the main file enter the following code:
      void testfunc()
      {
          if (1)
          {
              if (2)
              {

}
          }
      }
    2. Expected behavior: the “collapse” box should appear near “testfunc”
    3. Actual behavior: the box doesn’t appear

This will help us quickly distinguish the problem from many similar issues that could have completely different causes and get back with a fix or a workaround promptly.

jona
    Spectator

Thanks! yeah. I kinda thought we had a communication problem here. That was 8 days of patiently going back and forth here. I really just don’t have time to muck around with this. I have to get these jobs completed. I wish it just plain worked. If I get time to debug this I will.

I am working in C with VS2017 and STM32F7 Discovery board.

I usually start the project by right clicking on the VS icon and selected the project from the list.

I write a LOT of C# /WPF code and usually when code folding fails I restart VS and reload the files.  Can’t get that to work here.

support
    Keymaster

No problem. If you get time to attach a screenshot, or a quick video showing the problem, we should be able to help. Unfortunately the description you provided so far, still matches about 5 different problems with completely different steps to diagnose and you probably don’t want to go through them all.

jona
    Spectator

re: Symptoms: All I can say is that there are no [+] or [-] icons anywhere in the entire file. Sometimes they show up on switch statements if they are at the top of the file. But they eventually disappear.

If there are links to solutions, all five if necessary, I would like to see them.

thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.