Clang IntelliSense Frequent Crashes

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Clang IntelliSense Frequent Crashes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    hammerfet
    Participant

Hi

I’m trialing VisualGDB and seem have a “Clang IntelliSense Engine has crashed” message randomly popping up whenever I’m browsing source files.

Once the crash has happened, it will keep happening again and again, essentially breaking the project from ever working again even after restarting visual studio/OS. Currently I’m only looking at the built in example applications for nRF52 devices. All of them have the same issue with the IntelliSense engine crashing randomly while looking through files or debugging

The CppEngineHost minidump shows the following:

Dump Summary

------------

Dump File: minidump.dmp : C:\Users\hammerfet\AppData\Local\VisualGDB\CppEngineDumps\minidump.dmp

Last Write Time: 01/12/2016 13:32:51

Process Name: CppEngineHost.exe : C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\CppEngineHost.exe

Process Architecture: x86

Exception Code: 0xC0000005

Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

I initially thought it might be a permissions issue but running Visual studio as admin didn’t help. I’m using Visual Studio Community 2015 (v14.0.25431.01) using a Windows 10 VM on OSX (running with Parallels).

Everything else, including debugging, works fine until this crash occurs. After that the message will keep popping up and IntelliSense becomes unusable.

Any ideas as to what might be going wrong?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by hammerfet.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by hammerfet. Reason: Code formatting
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by support.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry about that. Those crashes are most likely caused by bugs in the Clang compiler that VisualGDB uses in its IntelliSense engine. Unfortunately Clang sometimes crashes when it encounters incomplete code. Those crashes are usually caused by something very specific that is hard to find proactively (one of the last examples was a crash when trying to compute a sizeof() of a structure inherited from another structure that could not be fully parsed due to a syntax error in the middle of its declaration).

Most of those issues are very trivial to pinpoint and fix if you could send us the dump file. We usually fix them in less than 24 hours from the report and send a hotfix immediately. Please send us the dump file that VisualGDB produces and we should be able to fix this quickly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.