Can't debug after moving Linux servers

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Can't debug after moving Linux servers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nakueliofix
    Participant

There were 3 development Linux machines, 1,2,3.  Was using #2, and it was shut-down for reasons not fully disclosed to me.  However, it was working perfectly for debugging applications.  I’ve updated my projects to point to server #1 (And for trials, used #3 as well) but was unable to debug on either server.   Breakpoints worked fine, but viewing variables does not work at all, unless they are globals.

The error I get is:

VarName    mi_cmd_var_create: unable to create variable object

This happens for all variables, preview/auto/locals.

It may help to note that the Linux machines 1/2/3 are all clones of each other.

This brings me to my 2nd issue – this forums search command does not work.  I click search and enter “mi_cmd_var_create” and get no results, but entering it into a search engine (Google, etc) and restricting results to this site yields a bunch of results.  None of which helped me figure out what’s going wrong, though.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This error means that the debug symbols for your module do not contain enough information to find the memory address of the requested variable. It can happen due to a variety of reasons:

• Incompatibility between your gcc and gdb versions
    • Incompatibility between the debug information format (e.g. DWARF 4) and your gdb version
    • Missing “-ggdb” in your compilation flags
    • Symbols being stripped from the executable after it is built
    • Symbols not matching the loaded executables

We would recommend setting up a “hello, world” project using the same build/debug machines, ensuring that it works and then comparing compiler flags and gdb versions with your actual project in order to find out what exact difference breaks the variable viewing.

Nakueliofix
    Participant

The answer was – Incompatibility between your gcc and gdb versions

Thanks so much!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.