Can't access Project Properties

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Can't access Project Properties

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bernardofca
    Participant

Configuration:
    Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 Version 16.5.0
    VisualGDB 5.5 Preview 4

Was also happening with prior versions, seems that something is messed in our configuration.

When we right click on the project and try to open “VisualGDB Project Properties”, nothing happens.

If we right click on VS2019 in the tray, we see the VisualGDB property page but it cannot be seen or accessed. We likely have to reset something but what?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Most likely, some MSBuild-specific files are corrupt. Please try checking the following:

1. Do VisualGDB Project Properties work for a newly created project? If yes, please try comparing it against the broken one.
    2. Regardless of #1, try holding Shift while right-clicking on the project. This will force the VisualGDB Project Properties command to appear even if VisualGDB does not recognize the project.
    3. Also try opening the regular VS properties for the project or try building it. This might show a more informative error message.
    bernardofca
    Participant

1: New project has the same issue
    2: Holding shift does not help
    3: VS properties are working OK. I can build the project but that does not fix the issue.

bernardofca
    Participant

I also tried to uninstall VisualGDB / Reboot / Reinstall

That did not help and now I don’t have the properties on VS2010 (but project compile OK)

By the way, this is not a corruption in the project files because older version (from our SCC) have the same behavior.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by bernardofca.
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks for confirming it. Just to double-check, please share a screenshot of the menu command you are using to open VisualGDB Project Properties (the screenshot should include the entire VS window as it may contain important clues).

Please also check View->Other Windows->VisualGDB Diagnostics Console (you would need to enable diagnostic logging before trying to open project properties). It might contain important clues about the error.

bernardofca
    Participant

I think I have useful information for you:

I went from the office to home, did a screenshot of the menu (attached) and then I clicked on the menu and realized that it was working!

A little bit later, I tried again and it was NOT working. Here is the punch line: at home it always works on the external screen but not always on the laptop screen. At work it works on neither one. It looks that with my setup at work (same laptop, different external screen), it is trying to show the property page on a non-existing display.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Normally, VisualGDB would automatically discard the saved window positions when the screen layout changes. If not, we should be able to fix it.

First of all, please try the following steps to verify that the problem is related to the multiple screens:

1. Verify the VisualGDB Project Properties are broken.
    2. Close all VS instances.
    3. Delete the %LOCALAPPDATA%\VisualGDB\GUIPreferences.xml file
    4. Start VS again and verify that the VisualGDB Project Properties work.

If deleting the GUIPreferences.xml file solves the problem and the problem happens again, please share the contents of GUIPreferences.xml:

• Before you delete it (i.e. when it contains invalid settings).
    • After it is recreated next time you use it (i.e. when it contains valid settings).
    bernardofca
    Participant

As of now the problem has gone away (both home and work locations). I will apply your suggestions if the problem happens again. Thanks for the support.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.