Break All only works once

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Break All only works once

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    billskeen68
    Participant

Love VisualGDB. For a noob, it has significantly reduced my learning curve on embedded firmware debugging. Purchase req for Ultimate version is in, as I also do Android and Raspberry Pi development. Hope to get approved before my trial expires.

I have a couple questions about how “Break All” is supposed to work or if there is a better way to do what I need.

First, I had to remap the Ctrl+Break to Ctrl+Shift+Alt+B as my HP laptop keyboard does not have a Break key and Ctrl+Fn+Pause or other combinations would not work. This is a custom embedded project with imported files and build steps.

I start debugging my project using Debug/Start Debugging with GDB. I have additional symbol files I want to load and have to select “Break All”. I load the files and enter “c” to continue. On occasion, my app will go off into never, never land and I want to “Break All” to get in to see if I can figure out where it is. Unfortunately, “Break All” is now grayed out and I have to hit “c” a couple of times to get it to abort/break, which sometimes completely shuts down debugging.

Is “Break All” the right way to stop program execution or is there some other method I should be using?

Is there a better way to load the symbol files before debugging?

Is there a way to start debugging, automatically “Break All”, add the files and then continue?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Most likely the problem you are observing happens because you run the ‘c’ command in the GDB console window instead of using the Visual Studio GUI to continue execution (F5). This breaks synchronization between VS and the GDB session and makes your debug session look it is hanging.

We understand that it might be confusing, so we have added support for parsing and redirecting the c, n, s and f commands to the upcoming VisualGDB 5.2 beta 3.

If you want to always load some extra symbols before debugging, you can add those commands to the Additional GDB Commands page of VisualGDB Project Properties or use the interactive mode of the Quick Debug command to run any custom commands you want in the console mode and then let VisualGDB take control once everything is set up.

billskeen68
    Participant

That was it.

Thanks you very much.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.