Asserting RESET on JLINK

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Asserting RESET on JLINK

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Coralfreak
    Participant

I am evaluating VisualGDB on a NXP Kinetis device, which should be supported accoording to the MCU list.

My setup is a Windows 10.x PC with a Segger JLINK HW emulator and own build hardware based on a Kinetis MCU. The hardware is already tested with MCUXpresso IDE + PE Multilink FX setup, so I am sure the hardware is fine. Due to the fact that I have multiple reset signals on my board (Power fail / master CPU reset), I need the Segger JLINK to generate an reset signal before downloading the code into the flash.

Measurements show, that the Multilink emulator does generate a RESET puls at each start of code download, thus connecting the emulator with the MCU. The Segger JLINK does not send a RESET puls to the HW, so the MCU does not know what the JLINK emulator want.

There is, accoording to the manuals of the GDBServer and articles on the www, a possibility to add the command “Monitor reset 2” in the commandline of the GDBServer, which will drive the Segger JLINK RESET line low, which is expected by the hardware.

Is there a way in the “connection script” in VisaulGDB to force the “Monitor reset 2″command to the Segger JLINK ??

Adding it to the textbox in the debugger setup window as suggested in other forum topics does not work properly.

Regards,

Coralfreak

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please try installing VisualGDB 5.4 Preview 4 and the latest Segger package.

Then use the “reset device” checkboxes on the Debug Settings page or expand the “Advanced” view to directly edit the J-Link gdb server command line and/or startup commands.

If it doesn’t work, please attach a screenshot of your settings.

Coralfreak
    Participant

Hi Support,

I installed VisualGDB 6.4 preview 4 and also the latest Segger package 634a.

There is no difference with the earlier versions I have used, except that ttha Segger 634a driver gives a -1 error back and is not telling the rootcause of not being able to connect to the Segger JLINK emulator. The resetline still remains high (pin15), which is also the same as in my earlier SW setup.

I have tried to add the “mon reset 2” command in the textfield as suggested, but I do not see this being transmitted in the commandline to the JLINK emulator.

I have, as requested, attached 2 screenshots where the first is showing the parameters and the second oneif showing the commandline after the errormessage.

The JLINK is not able to connect to the MCU, as the restpulse is missing. This should be generated by the JLINK device.

Regards,

Coralfreak

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The startup gdb commands are not transmitted via command line. Instead VisualGDB will send them to gdb that will in turn relay them to the segger gdb stub.

We would advise solving it in 2 steps:

• Understand what exact command line needs to be passed to the Segger J-Link gdb stub (refer to the Segger documentation or check with their support if you are not sure). Double-check that running it manually issues the correct reset signal.
    • Enter the corresponding command in the “command line” field in VisualGDB Project Properties. If it doesn’t help, check via VisualGDB Diagnostics Console that VisualGDB is actually passing the correct argument.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.