any plans to update the new ESP32 toolchain? visualgdb unusabler in ESP32 dev

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB any plans to update the new ESP32 toolchain? visualgdb unusabler in ESP32 dev

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    milamber
    Participant

ESP32 has recently released their updated toolchain based on GCC 8.2. There is no such choice when you create a new project in visualgdb but only the old exists based on 5.2. In their official ESP-IDF they only link to the new 8.2 toolchain, making visual incompatible with the current and future versions of esp-idf. Do you have any short term plans to update visualgdb so we can continue using it for ESP32 dev?

milamber
    Participant

i tried to add a “custom toolchain” by locating the new esp-idf that i have just donwloaded. i had to copy bash.exe in another directory but eventually i was able to assign the new toolchain (8.2) in visual gdb.

Then i tried to assign a new ‘esp-idf checkout’ but it fails with the following exception when getting master or any other release for clone sdk

VisualGDB version: 5.4.109.3224
    —————— System.NullReferenceException ——————
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at k22.b(kh1 a, IDFCheckout b, Boolean c)
    at k22.h(kh1 c, IDFCheckout d, String e, String a, Boolean f, String b)
    at z71.f(kh1 a)
    at k22.k1(kh1 a, Object b)
    at k22.q1(kh1 a, Object b)
    at s1..ctor(VisualGDBProjectSettings2 c, s1 a, IDELevelProjectInfoForPropertyEditing f, Boolean e, tv1 d, ht1 b)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.Configuration_editors.ProjectPropertiesEditModel.z(o1 b, g a)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.Configuration_editors.ProjectPropertiesEditModel.x(Boolean b, f c, String d, Action a)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.WPF.ProjectPropertiesWindow3.OK_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

and this is the exception i am getting when i try to locate existing sdk checkout

—————— System.IO.FileNotFoundException ——————
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file ‘C:\msys32\home\george\esp\esp-idf\project.mk’.
    File name: ‘C:\msys32\home\george\esp\esp-idf\project.mk’
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.File.InternalReadAllText(String path, Encoding encoding, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.File.ReadAllText(String path)
    at VisualGDB.WPF.Embedded.IDFCheckoutDatabase.DetectSDKType(String dir)
    at VisualGDB.WPF.Embedded.IDFCheckoutSelector.ControllerImpl.LocateCheckout()

milamber
    Participant

after some more magioc i get new expection

—————— System.Exception ——————
    System.Exception: The ESP32 BSP did not define any MCUs
    at k22.k1(kh1 a, Object b)
    at k22.q1(kh1 a, Object b)
    at s1..ctor(VisualGDBProjectSettings2 c, s1 a, IDELevelProjectInfoForPropertyEditing f, Boolean e, tv1 d, ht1 b)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.Configuration_editors.ProjectPropertiesEditModel.z(o1 b, g a)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.Configuration_editors.ProjectPropertiesEditModel.x(Boolean b, f c, String d, Action a)
    at VisualGDB.Common_GUI.WPF.ProjectPropertiesWindow3.Apply_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Last time we checked, the new toolchain was not compatible with any stable ESP-IDF releases (using both 3.2 and 3.3 results in build errors).

We do not advise using pre-release ESP-IDF checkouts due to relatively low reliability and hence will not officially release a toolchain based on one until it reaches a stable state.

If you would like to experiment with this at your own risk, we can help you configure VisualGDB to recognize the new toolchain, however you would need to renew your technical support first. Please also note that the new ESP-IDF/toolchain might be broken in some ways that would make debugging, or other functionality impossible and we cannot guarantee that it will work as expected.

Update: we confirm that the new toolchain works with the master ESP-IDF branch when imported into VisualGDB, however it only works when using GNU Make. CMake support is currently broken.Our previous advice regarding ESP-IDF branches still holds – please avoid using the pre-release branches unless you are prepared to troubleshoot complicated issues.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by support.
    milamber
    Participant

just renewed my support

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for renewing your support!

We have uploaded a repackaged version of the latest toolchain with the master ESP-IDF checkout here: http://sysprogs.com/getfile/525/esp32-gcc8.2.0.exe

Simply run the installer and VisualGDB will recognize the new toolchain automatically, although the CMake-based projects will not work due to a bug in the current master branch of ESP-IDF.

chrisalfred
    Participant

Is there any update for this?

I have a VisualGDB  ESP32 CMake project based on ESP-IDF v3.3 and would like to upgrade the project to v4.2 – but this also needs the toolchain to be upgraded to gcc 8.2.0r7

https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/esp32/esp-idf/multiple/ explains how to change IDF. I removed 3.3 and installed 4.2.

I also installed gcc 8.2.0r7 from https://sysprogs.com/getfile/1203/esp32-gcc8.2.0-r7.exe but when I open the project, I get:

y8+k: Failed to start process (C:\SysGCC\esp32\usr\bin\bash.exe –login -c “export IDF_PATH=/esp-idf/v4.2 && export BATCH_BUILD=1 && export PATH=/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/esp-2019r2-8.2.0/xtensa-esp32-elf/bin:/tools/xtensa-esp32-elf/esp-2019r2-8.2.0/xtensa-esp32s2-elf/bin:/tools/esp32ulp-elf/2.28.51.20170517/esp32ulp-elf-binutils/bin:/tools/mconf/v4.6.0.0-idf-20190628:/tools/idf-exe/1.0.1:/tools/ccache/3.7:/tools/ninja/1.9.0:$PATH && export -n PYTHONHOME && export LANG=en_US && cd /C/MYDEV/LoopPlus/FirmwareVM/Firmware-ESP32 && make partition_table BUILD_DIR_BASE=’/C/MYDEV/LoopPlus/FirmwareVM/Firmware-ESP32/.visualgdb/VisualGDBCache/VGDB-Firmware-ESP32-Debug-VisualGDB/CodeSenseDir’ SDKCONFIG=’/C/MYDEV/LoopPlus/FirmwareVM/Firmware-ESP32/.visualgdb/VisualGDBCache/VGDB-Firmware-ESP32-Debug-VisualGDB/sdkconfig’ V=0 && make -n -k BUILD_DIR_BASE=’/C/MYDEV/LoopPlus/FirmwareVM/Firmware-ESP32/.visualgdb/VisualGDBCache/VGDB-Firmware-ESP32-Debug-VisualGDB/CodeSenseDir’ SDKCONFIG=’/C/MYDEV/LoopPlus/FirmwareVM/Firmware-ESP32/.visualgdb/VisualGDBCache/VGDB-Firmware-ESP32-Debug-VisualGDB/sdkconfig’ V=0”): The system cannot find the file specified —> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified
    at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
    at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start()
    at y8.b1()
    — End of inner exception stack trace —
    at y8.b1()
    at nj2.s.a_2(rg1 a)
    at fw.c(String a)
    at fw.d_2()
    at jz2.b()

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The ESP-IDF environment is known for relatively low backward compatibility. Typically only a specific toolchain version will work with a specific ESP-IDF version, and upgrading project to a newer ESP-IDF release may often require non-trivial changes to configuration files.

You can read a detailed overview of this, and suggested troubleshooting techniques in our ESP32 documentation: https://visualgdb.com/documentation/espidf/#troubleshooting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.