x64 building and debugging w/ virtual PC

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualDDK/VirtualKD discussion x64 building and debugging w/ virtual PC

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

I just installed visualDDK 1.4 and created a driver project. Was able to build in x86 with no problems. When I try to build with x64 and error occurs and the build process does not complete. The error from buildlog.htm is PRJ0019: A tool returned an error from “Performing Makefile project actions”.

I’m running visual studio 2008.

Also, Can I use virtual PC (over VMWare) to do debugging or does it have to be VMWare.

Thanks. This is a great tool.

Jason

support
    Keymaster

Please examine the entire output log (from the output window in VS) to understand why x64 build fails. You can also post the log here.
    Regarding Virtual PC, you can use it, but the debugging will be extremely slow, as VirtualKD does not support Virtual PC. You can use either VMWare or VirtualBox instead.

Anonymous
    Participant

I just reloaded my machine, win7 x86, with visual studio 2008 (sp1), windbg (newest version), and wdk 7100, and visualddk 1.4.

I create a new driver project ( the x64 support checkbox is checked). I build the project with the Win32 configuration and builds fine. I change the configuration in visual studio to be x64 and the project will not build. I will try to post the messages later.

Other observations: Does visualddk support WDF (ie KMDF or UMDF)? Also when creating a WDM project the tool creates the .inf file and the .inf file references the .cat file but the physical .cat file is not automatically created. I have to create that by hand.

Anonymous
    Participant

Another interesting observation:

So I took my driver project (the one created by visualDDK), and openned up a x64 wdk command window, and ran build, and the project built just fine with no problems, but building from visual studio does not work for me still (for x64)? Any ideas?

Do i need to do anything in visual studio besides change the configuration manager to be x64 (from win32)

support
    Keymaster

Please provide the full build log produced by Visual Studio (Output window)

Anonymous
    Participant

Build Log
    Build started:

Project: legacyDrv, Configuration: Debug|x64

Command Lines Creating temporary file “C:UsersAdminAppDataLocalTempBAT00000122883468.bat” with contents
    [
    @echo off

call C:WINDDK7600.16385.0binsetenv.bat C:WINDDK7600.16385.0 chk win7

cd /d c:UsersAdminDesktopDriverslegacyDrvlegacyDrv

build

if errorlevel 1 goto VCReportError

goto VCEnd

:VCReportError

echo Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from “Performing Makefile project actions”

exit 1

:VCEnd
    ]
    Creating command line “C:UsersAdminAppDataLocalTempBAT00000122883468.bat”

Output Window Performing Makefile project actions

OACR monitor running already
    path contains nonexistant c:program filesmicrosoft visual studio 9.0common7toolsbin, removing
    path contains nonexistant c:program filesmicrosoft sdkswindowsv6.0alibwin64, removing
    BUILD: Compile and Link for x86
    BUILD: Loading c:winddk7600.16385.0build.dat…
    BUILD: Computing Include file dependencies:
    BUILD: Start time: Wed Jan 06 15:05:59 2010
    BUILD: Examining c:usersadmindesktopdriverslegacydrvlegacydrv directory for files to compile.
    c:usersadmindesktopdriverslegacydrvlegacydrv
    Invalidating OACR warning log for ‘root:x86chk’
    BUILD: Saving c:winddk7600.16385.0build.dat…
    BUILD: Compiling and Linking c:usersadmindesktopdriverslegacydrvlegacydrv directory
    Configuring OACR for ‘root:x86chk’ –
    BUILD: Finish time: Wed Jan 06 15:06:01 2010
    BUILD: Done
    0 files compiled – 2 Warnings

support
    Keymaster

Ok, please try creating a BAT file containing the following 3 lines:

build

Launch the BAT file from Explorer. If that build succeeds, try launching the BAT file from “Visual Studio Command Prompt”. Maybe, there are some environment variable conflicts. If the BAT file fails, try to understand the difference with invoking “build” on its own (maybe, “cd” does not work?)

Anonymous
    Participant

build

I ran the above in explorer and it resulted in a successful build of x86 version (not x64)
    I ran the same above script from the visual studio 2008 cmd window and it also resulted in a successful build of the x86 version

Then I modified the above to line: (added x64 parameter)
    call C:WINDDK7600.16385.0binsetenv.bat C:WINDDK7600.16385.0 chk win7 x64

Re-Ran the scripts and the result was successful build of (x86 version). It ignored my x64 flag. So I closed all my command windows and restarted them again running the script and it resulted in a successful build of the x64 version!!!

So I launch visual studio (created a brand new driver project) tried to build x64 version and failed. Same output as before. Try to compile x86 version and it was fine.

Any help would be great. I would really like to be able to build both the x86 and x64 from within visual studio.

Command Lines Creating temporary file “C:UsersAdminAppDataLocalTempBAT00000122883468.bat” with contents
    [
    @echo off

from the error log should there be an x64 flag in that command?

support
    Keymaster

Ok. There is a bug in Project Wizard that does not flag x64 configurations as x64. On my machine it results in building x86 binaries even if x64 was selected. To fix this after the project file was generated, please go to “Project Properties -> NMake -> Build Command Line” and insert “AMD64” before “Win7”. This should fix the problem.

Anonymous
    Participant

To make it work correctly. I actually had to do the following:

“Project Properties -> NMake -> Build Command Line” and insert “x64” before “Win7”.

Anonymous
    Participant

issue doesnt seem to be fixed in version 1.5

I had hoped this would be fixed in version 1.5 but overall i like the new version.

the 64bit build option uses the AMD64 build flag but there is no such flag is seems. The correct flag seems to be x64

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.