Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit – WinCDEmu-3.1-8

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit – WinCDEmu-3.1-8

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    support
    Keymaster

Devcon is a Microsoft utility from Windows Driver Kit, that does various maintenance things related to device drivers. You can read more here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
    Yes, you can delete “UpperFilters” manually, but you will most likely need to reboot afterwards and there may be some leftovers in the registry, that devcon would clean up otherwise.
    I have no clue, how did GEARAspiWDM get on your machine, but googling it points to Gear Software. Maybe, some other product uses it as well. I have installed InfraRecorder 0.50 on my VM and found out that it did not add GEARAspiWDM.

U4EA
    Participant

Weird. Anyways, thanks for all your help with this.

Out of curiosity, can WinCDEmu be told to ignore GEARAspiWDM instead of having to delete it [wherever it came from]?

support
    Keymaster

Let’s say, not without a hack. It is possible to do something like “disable filters -> mount image -> wait for drive letter assignment -> reenable filters” every time, but this can turn your entire system into a buggy mess if some other programs have some other hardcoded expectations. Plus, trying to mount 2 images using 2 different emulators at the same time would be destructive.
    I suggest understanding whether you really need this filter. If not, simply delete it with devcon. If yes, install the latest version of the product that uses it (e.g. the version that comes with the trial of GearDVD did not cause any problems on my test machine). Most likely, there is a bug in your version of GearASPIWDM that has been fixed in newer versions.

U4EA
    Participant

Aha! Here’s another possible source for GEARAspiWDM. After running devcon to remove UpperFilters, I now get the following error when starting iTunes:

I’m using 64 bit iTunes. Is there any way we can determine whether 64 bit iTunes adds that registry setting?

support
    Keymaster

It is possible to dump iTunes installation script to see what it does, but if removing the filter caused problems for iTunes, 99% that it is the reason.
    I suggest installing the trial of the latest GearDVD or whatever, making a copy of the latest GearASPIWdm that it installs (after ensuring that it has no problems with WinCDEmu), uninstalling it, reinstalling iTunes (so that it will install the old buggy GearASPIWdm again) and then manually replacing the GearASPIWdm.sys installed by iTunes with the one that came with GearDVD trial. Note that you will need to restart after replacing the SYS driver.

Anonymous
    Participant

You guys are running the installer as administrator? if not then the installation is virtually* certain to fail.

Things work pretty much as expected here on Windows 7 Ultimate X64

*apologies!

Anonymous
    Participant

Yea, got same problem until tried to install it as administrator! Working fine.

rachely476
    Participant

@U4EA wrote:

Some more info. As mentioned earlier, this is a relatively fresh Windows install, only 3 weeks old now, so I don’t have a lot of junk installed. The only CD-ROM related software I’ve got is 64 bit InfraRecorder.

U4EA – Thanks so much! Exactly what I was looking for.

Anonymous
    Participant

@bazis wrote:

Ok, the GEARAspiWDM, that is the reason of the problem, comes from “GearDVD” and related software. I have checked the latest GearDVD trial on Win7x64 and did not encounter any problems with WinCDEmu. It seems that you have previously installed some older Gear Software products, that left this filter driver. To remove it, please download devcon utility (…) and run the following command line:
    devcon classfilter cdrom upper !GEARAspiWDM

Awesome, this worked for me too! I’ve never had GearDVD, but I have had iTunes. However, I’ve been using WinCDEmu and iTunes side by side for years and years with never any problems. Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.