Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit – WinCDEmu-3.1-8

Sysprogs forums Forums WinCDEmu Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit – WinCDEmu-3.1-8

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    U4EA
    Participant

Hi, I’m trying to use the latest WinCDEmu [3.1-8lang] on Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. I can install it fine, test driver mode etc seems to all be working alright:

However, when I try to mount an image, I get the following message for about 5 minutes:

After this, it fails and I get the following message:

If I try mounting anything after this error is seen, absolutely nothing happens. If I reboot, I get the “Installing device drive software” window again, and subsequenly the error again.

I reinstalled Windows not more than 10 days ago, so it’s a relatively fresh and non-bloated installation. I have also tried the re-installation instructions I saw posted in another thread:

Uninstalled WinCDEmu through Add / Remove Programs.
    Rebooted.
    Ran the fix as specified above ( http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/wcdcleanup.exe ).
    Rebooted.
    Reinstalled WinCDEmu.
    Rebooted.

Still doesn’t work. Would appreciate some input.

Anonymous
    Participant

Same exact thing happens with my machine. Tried the “fix” instructions with no results too. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a 27″ iMac through Boot Camp. Was running Daemon Tools with no issues whatsoever, and uninstalled it to try this program out. Any clues?

Tim

support
    Keymaster

Did the installer successfully switch your system to the “testsigning mode”? Maybe, BootCamp somehow prevents it? Do you have the “test mode/windows 7” message in the lower right corner of your desktop?

Anonymous
    Participant

@bazis wrote:

Did the installer successfully switch your system to the “testsigning mode”? Maybe, BootCamp somehow prevents it? Do you have the “test mode/windows 7” message in the lower right corner of your desktop?

Yes, my Windows is in Test Mode.

Tim

support
    Keymaster

Ok, please go to the device manager (press Windows key + Pause key on the keyboard and select “Device Manager”), find the faulty CD-ROM drive in the list, right-click on it, select “properties”, look and post here the following information:
    1. The text in “device status” box.
    2. In “details” page, the “value” for:
    a. Hardware IDs
    b. Compatible IDs
    c. Device Instance Path
    d. Matching device ID

It is important that “hardware IDs” will contain “GenCDRom. If it does contain it, but the driver still cannot be installed, do the following:
    Select “start->run” or press “Windows key + R key”, type “regedit”.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Class
    Press “Ctrl+F”, type “cdrom”, press ENTER.
    Ensure that the “{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}” class was selected on the left.
    Carefully examine the values on the right. If anything like “UpperFilters”, “LoweFilters” or anything else containing the word “filter” appears there, please either post the values here, or make a screenshot of your regedit window.

Anonymous
    Participant

@bazis wrote:

Ok, please go to the device manager (press Windows key + Pause key on the keyboard and select “Device Manager”), find the faulty CD-ROM drive in the list, right-click on it, select “properties”, look and post here the following information:
    a. Hardware IDs
    b. Compatible IDs
    c. Device Instance Path
    d. Matching device ID

It is important that “hardware IDs” will contain “GenCDRom. If it does contain it, but the driver still cannot be installed, do the following:
    Select “start->run” or press “Windows key + R key”, type “regedit”.
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Control -> Class
    Press “Ctrl+F”, type “cdrom”, press ENTER.
    Ensure that the “{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}” class was selected on the left.
    Carefully examine the values on the right. If anything like “UpperFilters”, “LoweFilters” or anything else containing the word “filter” appears there, please either post the values here, or make a screenshot of your regedit window.

No faulty CD shows up in my Device Manager. I believe one of the problems is that when I double-click an .iso file to mount it, my computer tells me it is installing device drivers for it (like the original poster to this thread), but it never finishes the install, and it eventually times out with an error (see screenshots above).

support
    Keymaster

Ok, what does the “batchmnt64 /list” command print, when such a “install failed” dialog is still active? BTW, you need to check the device manager while the dialog is still there (or just after; restarting will of course remove the device node for the virtual CDROM).

Anonymous
    Participant

Thanks for your assistance so far, but don’t worry about it. If the program is this much trouble to install and work correctly, then it is not worth my time. Every step of the way requires a reboot so far, and I cannot spend my time troubleshooting and endlessly rebooting my computer when Daemon Tools installs and works correctly the first time every time. I do like the idea of WinCDEmu, and I realize that lots of folks have installed it, and have it working without an issue, so no offense by all this. I will have to submit that the combination of iMac and Windows 7 Ultimate is not a working possibility for this software.

Take care,

Tim

support
    Keymaster

Ok. As the combination of Mac + Windows 7 is quite rare and impossible for me to test, I won’t be able to fix it without any feedback.
    If you or anyone else having the same problem find some more time to do the tests and submit the feedback, you are welcome 🙂

U4EA
    Participant

Hi bazis, this is the OP here.

As you can see in the screenshot in the first post, testsigning mode does seem to be properly enabled.

I am not on the problem machine at the moment, but will try your suggestions when I get home. BTW, my particular situation has nothing to do with Mac, it’s simply a standalone Windows 7 64 bit box. Will post feedback once I’ve had a chance to try your suggestions.

edit: Just noticed that 3.3-1 has been released. I will install and try with this as well.

U4EA
    Participant

Hi bazis, in the interest of helping improve WinCDEmu, please find linked the requested screenshots. Note, I updated to the latest version [WinCDEmu-3.3-1] before I started this process. I still got the same problem.

The CD-ROM does not appear faulty, it appears normal:

a. Hardware IDs

b. Compatible IDs

c. Device Instance Path

d. Matching device ID

After this, I checked the registry as asked:

UpperFilters has a value of “GEARAspiWDM”.

Then I ran “batchmnt64 /list” and got the following output:
    Listing connected virtual CDs:
    Letter Image file
    : E:ISO_NAME.iso

This display is copy pasted from the command prompt, i.e. there really is no drive letter assigned, it is just a space then a colon [:]. I had selected “v:” in the drop down list when prompted.

Happy hunting!

U4EA
    Participant

Some more info. As mentioned earlier, this is a relatively fresh Windows install, only 3 weeks old now, so I don’t have a lot of junk installed. The only CD-ROM related software I’ve got is 64 bit InfraRecorder.

support
    Keymaster

Ok, the “GEARAspiWDM” seems to be the reason of the conflict. I guess, it sends some specific control codes to the virtual drive, gets a “not supported” reply and aborts the device initialization sequence. Generally, a bug in InfraRecorder, BTW.
    Anyway, I’ll install InfraRecorder on a VM and see what happens.

support
    Keymaster

Ok, the GEARAspiWDM, that is the reason of the problem, comes from “GearDVD” and related software. I have checked the latest GearDVD trial on Win7x64 and did not encounter any problems with WinCDEmu. It seems that you have previously installed some older Gear Software products, that left this filter driver. To remove it, please download devcon utility (http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/devcon.zip) and run the following command line:
    devcon classfilter cdrom upper !GEARAspiWDM

U4EA
    Participant

Yep, that fixed the problem.

Can I ask what devcon does? Is it simply to delete “UpperFilters” from registry?

As for any Gear Software products, as I said, I’ve recently re-installed this machine from scratch. I’m positive it does not have anything from Gear Software installed, no GearDVD or anything like that. InfraRecorder is the only related software.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.