VisualGDB Debugger Not Skipping Blank Sectors

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB VisualGDB Debugger Not Skipping Blank Sectors

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Seidleroni
    Participant

I have a project which contains some code, but also a 32 bit piece of data at the end of flash that contains the version information. When I add this small piece of data at the end, it takes ~30 seconds to start a debug session, where it would normally take 5 seconds without this piece. Is VisualGDB programming the entire binary file to the micro, or is it skipping empty sectors? I suspect it is not skipping the blank sectors, is there a way to make it do so?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The exact FLASH programming sequence is actually handled by gdb and the underlying gdb stub (e.g. OpenOCD). We are somewhat reluctant to change the OpenOCD programming logic as that could introduce bugs and break backward compatibility, so we could advise one of the 3 options:

• Try using Segger J-Link. Their gdb stub is optimized much better than OpenOCD.
    • Try hacking OpenOCD at your own risk.
    • Instead of embedding the version into the ELF file, save it to a separate file and program it using an OpenOCD command. You can add OpenOCD commands to the “Additional GDB Commands” page of VisualGDB Project Properties as long as you prefix them with “monitor” (e.g. monitor flash program …).
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.